need help with questions

duane

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
just starting up
My Location
burnley lancashire
hi all i have got few questions, i have an echostar dish but want to test the acuator to see if it is working but i dont have a reciever yet is there any way of testing it without a recevier?
the second question is as i am only just getting in to this stuff wat is good cheap system to get looking at spending about £100 on one.

hi everyone

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum duane

Well I know nothing about actuators as my dish is actually driven by a windscreen wiper motor, but if I was faced with your dilemma I would try to determine what type of actuator you have i.e. make model and thus required voltage. Then find a supply to suit. I would have guessed 12V, 24V or 36 V DC but that is a complete guess. Although 12V would actually be easier as a car battery is 12V DC hence easy to check out due to their being a number of cars on the roads these days:eek:. Opening the casing may reveal some details if there is no label on the outside.

As regards a system for £100, I doubt you will find one with a built in positioner for that sum of money.

duane

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
just starting up
My Location
burnley lancashire
the acuator is an echostar blackjack which i think is 36 v

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Inside the actuator there will be a DC motor. Connecting a voltage across the motor terminals should make it move.Swapping the wires round should make it move the other way. There will be other connectors on the actuator for sensing its position, for testing you don't want to connect anything to those as it could fry the unit. The motor connectors/wires should be labelled M1 and M2 or something like that.

If its a 36V motor, connecting 12V across it should still make it move, but very slowly. Don't connect to the wrong terminals though.