ciarank

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FortecStar 5100 Ultra
FortecStar LifeTime Classic
My Location
belfast
hi all

i have bought the lidl kit (dish, lnb, receiver, etc) and i'm not getting any signal at all. any one got any hints and tips for the inital set up/placement of the dish?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You will need to let us know what your settings are. You can also look at this thread, it is referring to a motorised setup, but some of the information will be relevant.

What settings do you have for your LNB, should be universal, then you need to select the correct satellite from the satellite list and pan the dish for that. The meter on the receiver reacts very slowly, so you need to move the dish slowly whilst searching for a satellite, did you buy the meter as well?

ciarank

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FortecStar 5100 Ultra
My Location
belfast
rolfw said:
You will need to let us know what your settings are. You can also look at this thread, it is referring to a motorised setup, but some of the information will be relevant.

What settings do you have for your LNB, should be universal, then you need to select the correct satellite from the satellite list and pan the dish for that. The meter on the receiver reacts very slowly, so you need to move the dish slowly whilst searching for a satellite, did you buy the meter as well?
I have been following the thread you posted and it does help a bit. He mentions entering his position in the receiver ( mine is lat 54.583, long -5.933). Do I need to do this as well?

I don't know what setting I have for the LNB - does it say on it?

Also, you say i need to select the correct satellite from the satellite list - what do you mean by that? Do i have to tell the receiver what Satellite I am trying to find BEFORE moving my dish around trying to find a signal? (i have not fixed the dish to the wall yet - I am just holding it and sweeping slowly from left to right trying to find a signal).

sorry for being such a dumbass - we all have to start somewhere :(

ciaran

ciarank

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FortecStar 5100 Ultra
My Location
belfast
test - pls ignore

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Have you got neighbours with a dish you can see ?

First thing would be to look at the biggest one on the block, ask them what they are picking up, and go from there

ciarank

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FortecStar 5100 Ultra
My Location
belfast
Channel Hopper said:
Have you got neighbours with a dish you can see ?

First thing would be to look at the biggest one on the block, ask them what they are picking up, and go from there
i have a sky system already. the dish for that system is on my chimney stack. i have got the new dish pointing in the same direction as my SKY dish but still no signal. Tomorrow I am going to take my LNB and SAT finder back to LIDL and exchange them as they may be faulty...

ALso, I am also wondering if the coaxial cable I am using is right. I went to a cable suppliers for it and I'm assuming it is right ( 100 something ) but can anyone tell me what cable I should be using?

thx

ciaran

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Does the sat finder work on the Sky minidish? You should also try your receiver on that dish as well to see if you can pick up Astra 28.2.

ciarank

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FortecStar 5100 Ultra
My Location
belfast
rolfw said:
Does the sat finder work on the Sky minidish? You should also try your receiver on that dish as well to see if you can pick up Astra 28.2.
haven't tried the SAT finder on the SKY dish. Can i do that wtihout climbing up onto my roof?

My new receiver from Lidl works with the SKY dish...

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, you can just connect it between the receiver and the cable to the lnb, can you take a photo of the meter and post it, would be interested to see if it has an attenuator on it.

ikymo

Reaction score
My Location
2° West 51° North
The lnb's from Lidl (£3.99) are universal.

The sat finder i bought from Lidl has five red lights, that light up as the signal gets stronger along with an audible beep (which sent my dogs loopy at the bottom of my ladder) and a sensitivity dial (attenuator ??)

As I said in an earlier post, when i connected it to my $ky setup (which works perfectly)
I didn't get any reading from the sat finder. When I setup the Lidl kit I only managed 3 lights while locating Thor 1W.

I don't think it is the best meter in the world but then it only cost £3.99.

Ciarank, I only had to enter my Lat & Long into the receiver to work my motor correctly, if you're not installing a motor you don't have to enter any figures.

You haven't mentioned what Sat you are trying to locate, but on your receiver remote
control, press menu, choose option 1 'Installation'.

Enter your password (factory set at 0 0 0 0)

Choose option 1 'Antenna Setting'

Then choose from the list of pre-programmed satellites.

Once your dish is lined up on the chosen satellite using the sat meter , go to the bottom line of the 'Antenna Setting' and select 'Start Search'

If you're dish is mounted correctly, when the scan bar reaches 100% you will have a picture and sound. If you just have a black box to the left side of the menu without a picture, you haven't picked anything up.

Just one thing to note, on the 'Antenna Setting' menu page, ignore the 'Signal Strength' bar. If everything is connected up and you buried the dish & lnb it will still show about 70%. Go by the satfinder

ikymo

Reaction score
My Location
2° West 51° North
I also know a satellite company locally who bought a boxful of lnb's from Lidl @ £3.99 each and is now reselling them at ten quid each !!

ciarank

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FortecStar 5100 Ultra
My Location
belfast
i have finally managed to get my system up and running. I can get a signal from the THOR satellite.

this is great as I wanted to tune into this one the most as my wife is swedish and now she can watch SVT1, SVT2, etc.

I am very surprised i can get signals from this satellite as I only have a 80cm dish and I am located in Belfast. Before buying the kit from Lidl I was told by quite a few that i would need at least 1.1cm - so i'm quite chuffed :) !

the only problem now is that I can't get ALL the channels from THOR. For example when i try and watch BBC World i get a message: "signal is weak".

could it be that i will need a bigger dish after all?

although i would have thought that if i can get one channel from THOR then I should be able to get them all...?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
ciarank said:
i have finally managed to get my system up and running. I can get a signal from the THOR satellite.

this is great as I wanted to tune into this one the most as my wife is swedish and now she can watch SVT1, SVT2, etc.

I am very surprised i can get signals from this satellite as I only have a 80cm dish and I am located in Belfast. Before buying the kit from Lidl I was told by quite a few that i would need at least 1.1cm - so i'm quite chuffed :) !

the only problem now is that I can't get ALL the channels from THOR. For example when i try and watch BBC World i get a message: "signal is weak".

could it be that i will need a bigger dish after all?

although i would have thought that if i can get one channel from THOR then I should be able to get them all...?

The transponders you are unlikely to get are on the Nordic beam - You'll need a larger dish for these, especially where you are. See:-

http://www.lyngsat.com/thor2.html

Llew

ciarank

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FortecStar 5100 Ultra
My Location
belfast
now that i know i can access THOR, i now want to buy a "proper" receiver.

All the channels on THOR/Canal Digital use the CONAX system. Can I buy a receiver with an embedded CONAX cam?

Can i then just buy a card and programmer (i.e. I wont have to buy a MATRIX reloaded CAM) and get access to those channels?

thx in advance

Ciaran

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
The Lidl LNB is universal (Low and High band) with a noise Level of 0.6db which would appear good (lower = better) the 90cm dish will pick up the Thor channels that are within your footprint (see earlier post) Each transponder (channel) can cover different areas and these can be changed by the satellite owner.

In fine weather you will get better reception than rain and snow with this in mind the fact you can watch a good picture now is no guarantee that that will be the same in winter.

The bigger the dish and the lower the noise of the LNB the more signal you will pull in and the better the picture. Everything will have some bearing on the picture even the cable. if you go motorised then the bigger the dish the better (remember the neighbours).

I have set the Lidl kit up and it will do the job for most people wanting FTA.
My eye is now on a DreamBox and a dish motor!

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
Compare the list of transponders programmed into the Lidl receiver with the list on http://www.kingofsat.net. I have found that some of the preprogrammed ones are incorrect (at least on my receiver). You need to delete the incorrect ones and enter the correct ones, then do a search and it should find some extra channels.

I'm hoping that Comag will release a software update for the receiver, with all the correct transponders because editing them manually for every satellite is very time consuming.

Phil.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I seem to remember seeing a Comag update channel on one of the sats, will have a look later and see if I can find which one.

ikymo

Reaction score
My Location
2° West 51° North
rolfw said:
I seem to remember seeing a Comag update channel on one of the sats, will have a look later and see if I can find which one.
The satellite required for an update is Astra1 19.2E.

This can be done automatically using an option in the menu system, assuming you are motorised or on Astra1.

My software version is 2.1.4 and I tried an upgrade on Sunday but it said there wasn't an update released yet.

The latest one available was released on 13th May 2004.

How often are upgrades released approx? Quarterly, annually any ideas?