Netgear Duo blue led flashing after power cut.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yesterday morning we had a power cut. My 2 drive 1TB Netgear Duo NASbox really wasnt at all happy when it was restarted after I got back from work. This has thousands of mp3's on it and 10 years worth of digital photos, plus all my backups of the screen grabs on the forum, linux box images and tools etc etc. All the really important stuff is backed up elsewhere but total loss of the nas data would be a major inconvenience putting it all back together!

The blue power led was pulsing regularly and the small green led just under the power button was flashing once every 10 seconds or so.

Thinking it was corrupted firmware I tried the fixes you can find (putting a paperclip into the reset hole and holding the button down whilst repowering). This did nothing.

The drives are set up as mirrored so I turned it off, popped drive 2 out and rebooted it. No change in state. So I put drive #2 back in and removed drive 1

The box booted beautifully :) And all the data was intact. So its been switched off again, and two new 1TB drives are on order.

The beauty of the NAS system is that when the new drive is inserted into bay 1 it will automatically rebuild the mirror over a few hours, then a few days later I'll swap the second drive over and it'll rebuild the mirror again. The old 1TB drive#2 will be reused for something none critical - and drive #1 will be scrapped.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Was the power cut down to external work or an internal failure? Are you thinking of claiming, for the damage?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Did you have surge protection on it ?

Could be once the power was cut and back again the device turning back on damaged one of the discs ?

A nonymous

Reaction score
May be worth seeing if the faulty drive is still under warranty with the manuafacturer. I've sent quite a few drives back in the past that have been faulty and they have usually been replaced with a drive of higher capacity.

Nano

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
nano said:
May be worth seeing if the faulty drive is still under warranty with the manuafacturer. I've sent quite a few drives back in the past that have been faulty and they have usually been replaced with a drive of higher capacity.

Nano
I did that too......... :-hide

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
Yesterday morning we had a power cut. My 2 drive 1TB Netgear Duo NASbox really wasnt at all happy when it was restarted after I got back from work.
Doesn't it restart automatically? Personally, I'd have it behind a UPS.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Mickha said:
Was the power cut down to external work or an internal failure? Are you thinking of claiming, for the damage?
Line fault somewhere - a good part of town was off as well

wod said:
Did you have surge protection on it ?

Could be once the power was cut and back again the device turning back on damaged one of the discs ?
No - that will be sorted pdq tho!

nano said:

Nano
Hadnt thought of that - might give it a try
Huevos said:
No - and cant remember if its restarted after outages in the past.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Huevos said:
I'll second this. I keep all my important stuff behind a UPS. It's also important to set up the UPS and the protected systems so that when battery level reaches a preset low level, the systems shut themselves off. This means that even in the event of a longer power outage your systems will come down cleanly and thus come back again without issue when you power them back on once mains power is restored.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
New 1TB drive fitted to replace the failed one, and we are fully synched & back up running again. The second new drive will be fitted at the weekend to replace the older one. :)

I'll investigate a ups - any suggestions for home use? (The ones Ive seen at work are a silly size to keep the servers going!)

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Analoguesat said:
I'll investigate a ups - any suggestions for home use? (The ones Ive seen at work are a silly size to keep the servers going!)
I have a Belkin that I bought about 10 years ago - is still adequate for my needs but I should probably replace it. I've never had any trouble with APC. The important thing is to size it properly - you don't need something that'll give you hours of uptime, just enough to keep you going through the odd 5 minute or so outage and enough to shut down the system(s) cleanly. It's critical to have the shutdown functionality - a UPS that can't talk to the systems it's protecting can't shut them down when it runs low on battery.