Network Configuration

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Hi all. Before i move on to next stage, want to make sure that my Net work connection is set right.

IP: 192.168.0.24
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Type: Lan
Nameserver: 195.218.116.2
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

The Nameserver one is my internet provider id, (is that right).

When i go into DB menu and go to expert set up & then into software update/
ithen Internet update it says...Cant resolve hostname! (URL:http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/dm7000/update/catalog.xml

If I go into Manual update it says: Upload your image via FTP or Samba to the /tmp folder. then rename it to root.cramfs and press ok. In the upcoming list select manual update and follow the instructions.

Have read loads, so much that im back to square one. All mixed up. I know my box is conected because when i take out the crossover cable it says its disconnected. Just want to know am I ok before I move on. Have Sats sorted out with motor and want to move on to entering the software for decoding the channels. Was using the matrix for multivision today. Just to view the Premiership.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Are you using a router?

If you're using a router then you don't need a crossover cable you need a straight Ethernet cable.

Do you have a fixed IP address from your ISP or is it DHCP?

Can you see the DreamBox over ftp?

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
gameboy said:
Are you using a router?

If you're using a router then you don't need a crossover cable you need a straight Ethernet cable.

Do you have a fixed IP address from your ISP or is it DHCP?

Can you see the DreamBox over ftp?

I have broadband,using an ZyXEL modem through USB. Dont know the rest of your question. Never took any notice of it when it got installed. Have the cable from the ethernet port to the db port. Im sure it was called a cross over cable.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you go to your browser and type in http://192.168.0.24 do you get the Dreambox login page?

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
If you have a computer using Windows 98, it will not be easy to share your internet connection as it is not natively supported. You can update to XP or buy a software like Wingate.

On Windows XP Pro, this is quite simple. Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Set up a home or small office network.

Follow instructions and you should be OK.

This will activate Internet connection sharing on the connection you specify as you internet connection, put 192.168.0.1 as PC IP address on the network, and start a small DHCP Server service.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
gameboy said:
If you have a computer using Windows 98, it will not be easy to share your internet connection as it is not natively supported. You can update to XP or buy a software like Wingate.

On Windows XP Pro, this is quite simple. Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Set up a home or small office network.

Follow instructions and you should be OK.

This will activate Internet connection sharing on the connection you specify as you internet connection, put 192.168.0.1 as PC IP address on the network, and start a small DHCP Server service.

Have windows xp, and done an internet wizzard today. I think everything went fine, the only thing that makes me think something wrong is that when I went into software download i got that message as stated above in previous post. Dont want to FOOK things up as the flash i was putting on last night froze up my box till i done another image.

sardo-sardo

Reaction score
@john graydon:in name server put also 192.168.0.1,go to show all connection and in modem connection right mouse clik-property-advanced in internet connection sharing press ok in allow other network user to connect trough this computer's internet connection.I had the same problem but now it's ok.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
@ Sardo-Sardo.. This was my problem I think, made a few changes last night like the one you said and everything seems ok. Pinged it as well and everything came up fine. Thanks at least its here for future reference as others might have the same problem.
Now moving on to next stage. Doing a bit of reading first.