Network Woes?

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Ive installed a 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX) #2 in my pc. I have a Cat 5 crossover cable from the network card to my DB7000. I have configured the ip addresses as this tutorial

*ttp://www.dreambox.net.au/tutorials/dreambox101.php

The network card is apparently working fine in xp pro but I get an red X through the connection icon in the taskbar. It says a cable is unplugged. Now I swiped the card and cable from a box full of pc junk at work so either one could be knackered or I could be doing something wrong? I thought I better ask before I waste anymore time:)

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
Pullet_Surprise said:
Ive installed a 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX) #2 in my pc. I have a Cat 5 crossover cable from the network card to my DB7000. I have configured the ip addresses as this tutorial

*ttp://www.dreambox.net.au/tutorials/dreambox101.php

The network card is apparently working fine in xp pro but I get an red X through the connection icon in the taskbar. It says a cable is unplugged. Now I swiped the card and cable from a box full of pc junk at work so either one could be knackered or I could be doing something wrong? I thought I better ask before I waste anymore time:)
Do you just have a cable link to DB, i.e. you are not on a LAN or WAN?
Ping the IP number of your DB from the command line.
If you have a LAN and router, can you ping your router IP?
Are you sure its is an X cable and not II? since you swiped it from a box. We use purple cable for X-overs at work, otherwise we cant tell . . .
How do you know?

zanders

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
If you are not sure if its a crossover cable or not put both ends of the cble side by side and check the colours of the wires inside the connectors.
If they are the same sequence in terms of colour then its a straight through cable.

http://www.theinkspot.co.uk

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Thanks Haggard,

Yes it just a simple setup. The box times out on pinging. I did ask the IT guy at the time he said if the wires at the ends of the lead were multicoloured it was a crossover cable. I also punched the writing on the cable into google and it mentioned crossover in some garbled description?

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
zanders said:
If you are not sure if its a crossover cable or not put both ends of the cble side by side and check the colours of the wires inside the connectors.
If they are the same sequence in terms of colour then its a straight through cable.
[font=&quot]Eeeek, they are the same sequence of colours. Well spotted that man, best get my butt down PC World tomorrow (as much as it pains me).

[/font]

racingclubuk

Reaction score
Website
www.racingclubfc.com
My Satellite Setup
IBM Supercomputer
My Location
Ogmore by Sea - South Wales
Pullet_Surprise said:
[font=&quot]Eeeek, they are the same sequence of colours. Well spotted that man, best get my butt down PC World tomorrow (as much as it pains me).

[/font]
yes - if XP complains that the network cable is unplugged then you have no 'physical' connection

All cat5 cables have mutlicoloured ends - it depends on the order of the pairs

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Thanks all,

Got one and it worked first time:)

Is it the case that I dont really need a serial cable to flash with if I'm using the network cable as well? I used a serial cable to patch my samsung receiver but dreamup doesn't seem to connect with it?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Serial cable is a good backup in case your box doesn't boot to the point where it has built the IP stack and loaded the NIC driver.