networking the transport stream

FRAZER

Reaction score
I've finally taken the plunge, and am gradually putting together a HTPC for satellite viewing, amongst other things. Part of the "master plan" though is to have a second, small, low-powered (i.e.Via c3) computer to which I hope to be able to send the MPEG stream for viewing in another room.

As the second computer will be CPU weak, I was wondering if anyone knows of any good PCI MPEG2 decoder cards which handled Transport streams as well? (and potential for RGB scart output wouldn't be scoffed at, though this is less important). And would the decoder have to be able to choose between the various PIDs on each stream, or is it in any way possible to send a single channel from a transponder from the first PC to the second?

Come to think of it, I guess the first question is whether it is possible to send the stream and decode it in real time at all- I am a complete novice! Is anyone doing this?

Thanks for any hints and advice,

Frazer

Ghost_inside2003

Reaction score
The simplest form I can think of it using a Nexus-S DVB card, which contains a hardware mpeg decoder and TV out, you can install in the second computer a cheap TV card based on the BT878 chip such as the Avermedia TV Stereo card, that way all you have to do is connect a gold S-Video cable sold in any RadioShack store, including a sound cable.

Once you have the elements on hand you just need to connect the S-Video cable from the (or a Composite cable) to the Nexus-S card and the audio out of that computer to the sound in of the TV card in the weak computer in the second room.

Now, you will only be able to watch what is being viewed in the first computer.

Good luck.

FRAZER

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. To avoid running wires through the house, I guess I could just get a video sender connected to the TV out of the computer or satellite card (depending on which one I buy), and a capture card at the other end; but for better quality, I was really hoping to send the MPEG stream itself rather than the analogue output, which would then have to be re-encoded (and video senders are prone to local interference too).

Frazer