New Dish

Les Holmans

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Kent, England
I currently have a Fortec 65cm Dish on a Metronic motor mounted on a 5cm diameter pole with the bottom of the dish about 4.5 feet above the ground. To stop getting hassle from my other half I have agreed to raise the dish so that the bottom of the dish is not lower than 7 feet and I have bought a 12foot 1.5 inch diameter galvanized steel pole to mount the dish.

I thought I might as well get a bigger dish while doing this and the Metronic motor allows upto 1 metre size dish to be mounted. Due to the increased height would a mesh dish be better to counteract any strong winds?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Les

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Your pole will not be sturdy enough for the dish and motor you have if you are going to have it 7ft above the ground. You need at the very least, a scaffold pole.

Mesh dishes are slightly less wind resistant, but the higher quality dishes tend to be solid, there are several aluminium dishes available like the Gilbertini, Orbital and Funke.

Les Holmans

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Kent, England
Thanks Rolf for the information. I will have to have a rethink. If I chose a 90cm aluminium dish could I use the pole and have the dish at a slightly lower level or is it that the pole is too thin at any height for the motor and dish.

Les

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, really for any dish/motor combination on a ground mount, a scaffold pole should be considered a minimum requirement, they are very cheap and easy to get hold of, normally for only a few pounds. :)

frund

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triax 1.1 tm 1500ci+ dm patch. Moteck 2100. Intel 4300 based pc . LG7500. 32" lcd
My Location
Wales. UK.
I use a scaffold pole with a 4 leg braced foot, wedged and shimmed to dead vertical. The horizontal bracings, 300mm above patio, are weighted with heavy home manufactured weights and are removable.

Les Holmans

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Kent, England
Thanks for the replies and the pictures. I will get a scaffold pole + extras as suggested.

Les

don'tknowdon'taskme

Part Timer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 800HD DreamBox 7025 PVR160g HD,500s Dreambox ,Sly+ Full Package,SkyCard 2, And a Eagle 500 Clone DM500 TM755,TM9100 Linux
Channel Master 1.2m,1224EL Supermount Orbit Tracking Motor With c120 Feed Horn Invacom Quad Lnb Cas3 SC Dragon Progr
My Location
that would be telling
the dish has a great view there wot do you get.is that a motor on there or my eyes getting worse.