new echostar 608 beta download 4 AD3000VAIP

E

eme

give this upgrade a miss one and all.

echostar have yet made another cockup in ther sofware programming department. I think the school kids or who ever work there should be sacked and a new team brought in.

for all there years of manufacturing they still can't get a software enginner who knows what the hell he's doing.

oh i forgot we have already paid overboard 4 the AD3000VAIP, we dont expect it 2 work as well do we.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Actually they use a Korean company "Handan" to do their programming (not that that means they have relinquished quality control to them).
And personally I think the ad3000ipva is extremely good value. Look at what you get. Pretty well everything. Analogue, digital, 2xCI, built-in Viaccess, external decoder loopthrough, proper positioner and support for large actuators/motors, support for magnetic and motorised polarisers, C-band, Dolby Digital, OTA software upgrades, etc etc etc,
Software glitches too it is true, but show me a similarly specified receiver that doesn't have any.

2old

E

eme

the ad3000 would be a very good machine if and only if echostar get the software right.

just becuase they have anther company writeing there software does not in any way take any blame of echostar. As the company that engaged the new software company, it is up to echostar to check and double check the standard of proggraming.

as 4 the feature of the ad3000 i agree it does have a lot of good points, i just wish as so do other users that the software was more like dvb2000 for scanning and downloading new transponders etc.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
It's interesting to talk to the marketing people in these corporations. Have you ever wondered what their priorities are? They sell countless thousands of these receivers (and the ad30000 has been much more successful than even they had anticipated), but only a few of them go to "diehard" hobbysists who demand the kind of things you and I do.

I have had many conversations with Echostar on just this issue, as I am myself a Beta tester for them. They tell me that the vast majority of users are still running the original software, and have neither the interest nor the knowledge to upgrade it. Astonishingly, despite it being an absolute top-of-the-range bells and whistles thing, the majority of customers use it in
practise as a simple zapping machine.

It's easy to lose sight of this while we, a small band of technically-minded enthusiasts, gather on the net. We end up thinking everyone is like us. I moderate the ad300 forums at Satnerds, and often I read sentiments like "Echostar aren't interested in quality. Everyone has problems, just look at the number of complaints on this board." Well even if every single person coming to the boards were to complain, it still only represents a very tiny subset of the full user base - a highly skewed cross-section who by their nature will be the very people exploring the limits of the product (which is where most problems are to be found...).

2old

E

eme

yes i have delt with marketing people, i do have a patent pending, i have been in design and development 4 sometime and the onething i learned a long time ago, if there is a problem then if will be found and be found by the peple that moan the most.
when the moaners start to moan then people start to walk away from product.
Like some of the dealers in the early days of the ad3000.

It does really get my goat when people buy a product and the product has not been test properly, half the faults that have been on echostar machines should never have been there in the first place.
If product I designed had gone out the door like that I would have got shot.