New Forum

J

Jim

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 23-Nov-00 AT 12:45 PM (GMT)[/font][p]We have added this new forum to encourage discussion on systems using a satellite receiver card in a pc.

There are quite a number on the market, I have a Hauppauge DVB-S which is apparently identical to the Siemens and Technotrend cards. I use it in a pc running Windows NT4 with very good results. I also use it under SuSE Linux 6.4 using software and drivers available from http://www.linuxtv.org

Please feel free to share your experiences and ask questions, I am sure someone will be able to help.

Jim

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
:) To get the ball rolling as they say
i would like to ask why using pc software for the pentamedia range of satellite cards i have been getting constant crashes with the software. All versions seem the same. This only occurs when i have a card in the cam and go to certain channels.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
This is of interest to me as I have just installed a Pentamedia card in my PC, although I have yet to buy a cam for it.
I have posted a mssage in another thread with regard to buying a CAM, but it would also appear that they are not programmable in situ. Is this the case, or is the jury out pending the right software application?

J

Jim

The PCMCIA slot on a notebook pc is a bus extension and so it is possible to read and write to it given suitable software. Unless the PC Sat card has been specifically designed to support writing to the CAM module (and that is very unlikely) then you will not be able to update the CAM in situ.

I think you have to assume that the only way is to use a pc with a proper pcmcia slot, probably a notebook although pcmcia adapters do exist for desktop pc's.

Jim

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have just lifted this text from the Pentamedia site, I'm not sure whether this means the card can or can't be reprogrammed in situ, I have also E-mailed their UK operation.

[Advantages of Pent@VISION-CI]

An easy Plug and Play installation with automatic channel set- up.

An easy way to upgrade software on smart card using the satellite download

An update over satellite of channel listings and a change of programme bouquet for the users selection.

Flexible reception by the user of Single / Multiple carriers per channel
( SCPC / MCPC) on C/Ku band satellites.

Fully DVB standard compliant CI of dual PCMCIA sockets for various encryptions such as Viaccess, Irdeto, NagraVision, CONAX, Cryptoworks etc

Channel tuning by Auto FEC /PID manual entry.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
hi :)
I have the pentamedia ci card, its the top of this range with the interface add on required to fit the cam into.
This card in conjunction with the seca aston v1.03 cam
works fine as regards using cards :) but i cant tell you anything im afraid on changing firmware or using a notepad etc as i have not attempted this and have no real need to at the moment. The software problem i am having is just a minor inconvenience but i have no regrets buying this particular cards as their are worse out there.
i got my card from http://www.pulsat.co.uk
incase anyone interested. Let me know how you get on.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
ps.
If you intend to program cards then a pic programmer,wafer programmer will work fine attached to the com port on your pc. No need for a notepad to do this but maybe required for updating firmware which i personally wouldnt advise due to high risk of damaging cam. Their is always a risk in updating firmware be it a modem firmware or a cam etc, if the data is corrupt or fails to send this can cause permanent damage.