New here

swissat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm Skymaster dish
Skymaster DXL9400 rcvr
My Location
Thurgau, Switzerland
Just recently started with sat tv as the cable tv here in NE Switzerland sucks. I'm English and wife is Belorussian neither of us understand german
so I bought a complete system by Skymaster with a 60cm dish, UniLNB and receiver. I live in an old town where sat dishes are not allowed but after temporary setup with dish taped to camera tripod pointing out of window, I have now put dish in hidden place on next doors flat roof out of sight.
I am receiving hotbird AND astra 19E on a single LNB with system showing 78% signal strenth and 76% quality on both. I am not receiving anything on astra until transponder 71 but in total incl. the scrambled ones im showing about 1,850 channels. I can watch bbc world ,euronews, mtv 5 ,e-tech and lots of italian and german stuff. Wife can watch polsat, RTR Channel 1 russia etc, a total of about 20 russian and polish channels.
For my first setup I am very pleased. Receiver has 2 scart, s-video, componet video out, spdif and optical output for audio.
No english manual but I figured it out in a short time.
Complete package was 88 euro. I think a bargain.
One question for anyone in the know....
Did manual scan through scrambled channels a few days ago (ok so I was bored) and managed to pick up Nick European, MTV 1, BBC Prime and Motors TV unscrambled. whoo hoo cool....now today they are gone.
each channel shows up on about 3 or 4 diferent transponders so i rechecked each one but no luck.
anyone tell me why i was able to pick them up in the first place. Receiver does not have encryption card slot or internal

Thanks in advance for info

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
:-Welcome1 to the forum swissat

It seems you have a good handle on most things there, well done, as for the channels being decrypted it may be that they were FTA for a short time, the broadcasters sometimes do this especially when they are intending making major changes. The only other thing it could be was that the receiver that you purchased had been patched and the keys have since changed. Without knowing what you have there I am unable to comment as you do not mention any stb details but I suspect the latter to be the most logical reason. A google search shows the following possibilities here Also a forum search shows that it is a rebadged model
Badge Engineering. (Generic receivers)
Many receivers are actually made by other manufactureres, with the badges changed. For example, Emtech can also be found badged as: GB Sat, Jepssen, Fortecstar, Starsat, Nextstar, Strong1B, Atlanta, Shark, Signal, Interstar, Televes, BG Plus, Skymaster, Schaub Lorenz, Premier, Best, Echosat, Truman, Infosat, HiVision, & DSN!!!

swissat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm Skymaster dish
Skymaster DXL9400 rcvr
My Location
Thurgau, Switzerland
:D Thanks for your reply, I think I will be spending more and more time on this forum. Tried picking up distant radio stations when I was a kid and had forgotton how good it feels to pick something up "out of the air" especially when u r first starting out. Ford Anglia wiper motor heh, my first car, cost me 10quid and i spent more on Turtlwax and stuff to make it look nice O-Ha
originally from the NW too, Crosby Liverpool to be precise.

BTW how come i am picking up 2 sats 6 deg apart, so shouldnt I also get
Eurobird W2 ?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well I am not so sure you are, there are quite a lot satellites using the same frequencies polarity SR and FEC so although they may be registered to another satellite in your receiver they are just different transponders on the same bird. Have a good look here to see if what you think you are seeing is actually what you are seeing. Of course if you have a monobloc lnb then you will pick up two sats 6 degrees apart.

swissat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm Skymaster dish
Skymaster DXL9400 rcvr
My Location
Thurgau, Switzerland
I rechecked the transponder frequencies and now I am not sure about Astra
All channels on Hotbird show correct. I dont have monobloc lnb.
Went to Media Markt in Singen yesterday and found same STB but with Strong name on it. Downloaded user manuals but the OSD is different.
If I want to swing the dish round to 28 deg do I have to program the STB with the channels ? Can I use the SatcoDX.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hiya swisssat, welcome to our happy band of entusiasts. You wont be getting 13E and 19E on one lnb - both sets of the satellites use similar frequencies and you will be receiving one birds channels on both Astra and Hotbird on your receiver.

The scrambled channel you mentioned were free to air (fta) for a few days.

You arent getting all the low band frequencies, so check your lnb settings in the menu. They should be 9750/10600MHz (9.750/10.6 Ghz). You should get everything in pale blue here:

_http://www.flysat.com/astra19.php

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Sorry I have got to confess my ignorance there what is satcoDX? I tend to use either lyngsat.com or kingofsat.net for channel info for setting up. Moderators don't have to know everything you know :-cry1
And this one certainly does not

swissat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm Skymaster dish
Skymaster DXL9400 rcvr
My Location
Thurgau, Switzerland
Thanks again for your help guys.
Now I am bitten by the bug.....and having been up till 3 am each night much to the dismay of my wife (but I am somewhat redeemed as she now watches the russian and polish channels she missed) I can confirm what you have both said in that I did an autoscan on both sats(astra 19 hotbird) and did pick up duplicate channels on each sat.
Got so confused after doing transponder scans, preprogrammed scan, I had something like 2800 channels showing :-doh!
So I did a factory reset and just did a preprogrammed scan of hotbird.
The right channels now show on the astra tab but there is no signal strength. Am going to germany tomorrow to buy a monobloc lnb, for now this will do me...yeah right haa haa.
Have been looking at Technisat Multytenne 45 that has 4 lnb's in one and you can receive 13, 19,23 and 28 on their 45cm dish with a single output cable. seems a good option for me with limited space for a dish.
SATCODX is a way of updating your stb program list over the rs232 link, you download update files from their website www.satcodx.com.
Happy viewing guys ;)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
toppervte33h said:
Sorry I have got to confess my ignorance there what is satcoDX? I tend to use either lyngsat.com or kingofsat.net for channel info for setting up. Moderators don't have to know everything you know :-cry1
And this one certainly does not

Blues should never, ever confess ignorance! :D Make it up if you have to..... (the other blues wont tell:D)
:-lmao

_www.satcodx.com is their website. Personally I find it slow loading and very clunky to use.