Advice Needed New installation

NeilH

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic TV and roof mounted dish
My Location
Peterborough
Hi I'm a new satellite dish user

I had a dish installed a couple of months ago on an outbuilding which has been converted to a garden room. At the time of installation, I couldn't test the installation - I had it installed then so that cabling could be hidden in walls. I've come to connect up a Freesat enabled TV and am receiving a message that "ASTRA 2 satellite not found"

If I try and tune the TV for other satellites, I get a bunch of German and Czech programs - such as Disney CZ and rmt_bl8 which seem to be broadcast from the Astra 3B satellite at 23.5 degrees east. I don't know whether the 3B satellite is close enough to Astra 2 to be able to pick up these signals even if the dish is correctly aligned to Astra 2.

The TV is a Panasonic TX-L42D25 which is about 6 years old. I believe it may need access to Astra 2 and Eurobird in order to complete setup.

I don't know whether I need to get the dish alignment checked, or whether purchase of a freesat set top box (which works out cheaper than a dish alignment check) would be a better next step and this is where I'm looking for advice.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give.

Many thanks

Neil

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hi Neil, welcome to the forum. Your dish is marginally misaligned - you are indeed on the satellite slot next door to 28E - 23.5E

Mark all the mounting points up with china pen, tippex, indelible felt etc then slacken the bolts of a little - you want the bolts loose enough to be able to move the dish without it slopping around all over the place. (Hence the marking of the bolts - you can quickly reset if you get hopelessly lost!)

Facing the dish swing the dish right about the width of the lnb and drop it down a fraction (half the width of the lnb will be plenty.) That will put you in the right general areas for 28E. If you can set the receiver & tv up so you can see the strength bars it will make it easier. Once you start finding a signal from the correct satellite you can tweak up the signal strength easily enough.

Styart on one of the strong frequencies (10714H 22000 5/6 which is the channel 4 multiplex is a good one).

Last edited:

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi,
Yes, the installer has aligned the dish on 23east. Once you have found the satellite via the transponder screen 10.714 (ch4), try tweaking the dish final on 11.428 Horz for freesat.

NeilH

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic TV and roof mounted dish
My Location
Peterborough
Thanks guys. I had a quick chat with the installer company who said that if this turned out to be a tuning problem, they would charge me a £65 callout. I wanted to try and work out if it did look like an alignment problem before I followed up on that. I'll post an update as soon as I have some progress to report.

Neil

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It seems clear enough that the Installation Company have failed spectacularly.

A key element of their Trade must surely be to have the expertise to ensure alignment to the correct Satellite.

It is, after all, fundamental.

Do feel free to draw their attention to our comments if there is any quibble.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Did the installers turn up on horses?? Because any reasonably competent installer should be able to tell the difference between 23.5E & 28E!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Riding a horse is far harder than dish alignment!

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yes, agree. Choosing a CAI installer will not always guarantee you a competent installation co.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Last edited: