New Invacom LNB has no signal.

markhunter99

Reaction score
Dear all.

I have tried for the last 2 days to replace my old LNB for a universal Invacom 0.3 LNB but can recieve no signal. I made this decision as lots of the hotbird channels i regularly watch have suddenly dropped in reception quality (42-50%).

My sat finder tool informs me accurately when it finds a satellite, but on almost every satellite (on both E and W) the strength stays at 53/54% buth the signal strength is zero every time. The fact that the sat finder shows the satellites have been sucesfully located but no signal passes through is confusing me greatly. I thought it might be the difference in height (only a 1 cm or 2) of the LNB on the arm, but surely if this was the case the sat finder wouldn't locate satellites so strongly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
If the meter is situated between the LNB and the receiver - at the dish, but the signal is not getting to the receiver the cable may be damaged.

This may be due to a number of things, water, bend, twist etc.

Can you check the cable?

markhunter99

Reaction score
gameboy said:
If the meter is situated between the LNB and the receiver - at the dish, but the signal is not getting to the receiver the cable may be damaged.

This may be due to a number of things, water, bend, twist etc.

Can you check the cable?

How do i check the cable without buying new cable? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Thanks

eghamhigh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 808 2CI
Matrix Reloaded Cam
Fixed dish 13E
My Location
Surrey/Berks Border
Nip up the ladder and put the old LNB back on and see if you still have a picture. If you do then the new LNB isn't working. You wouldn't catch me up a ladder though!

kungpo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 8082ci, Matrix Reloaded, Aston Cam 1.5, Black ICE. Metronic DisEQC Motor, 80cm Dish, Monoblock LNB.
Dynamite USB, Intel P4 3.0Ghz, Intel Cel 3.06Ghz
My Location
Slough
I presume you're talking about no signal quality, but getting good signal strenth?

it is also possible you need to look the the skew on the LNB - try rotating slightly in the arm and see what effect that has. It is also woth adjusting the elevation of the dish slightly - different LNBs can require slight elevation changes.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hi Mark
Invacoms have quite a long throat - you may have to slide it backwards ir forwards to achieve optimum signal pickup. As kungpo says, LNB's have slightly different profiles, but you should be receiving some signal quality on a strong Hotbird TP unless the LNB/dish isn't correctly matched.

Llew

markhunter99

Reaction score
Well I've done a bit of tweaking and have managed a reasonable signal on Astra 1, but still nothing for Hotbird. I've played around with moving the LNB but, while the satfinder squeeks away happily and the signal strength gets to about 75%, there's still no signal quality.

I've also taken out a bit of cable that looked very ropey so that may have helped.

Any ideas?

Mark

jackpeas

Reaction score
My Location
Chicago,IL
markhunter99 said:
Well I've done a bit of tweaking and have managed a reasonable signal on Astra 1, but still nothing for Hotbird. I've played around with moving the LNB but, while the satfinder squeeks away happily and the signal strength gets to about 75%, there's still no signal quality.

I've also taken out a bit of cable that looked very ropey so that may have helped.

Any ideas?

Mark
I got the invacom 0.3 universal lnb and I never got a video.I have a 30'' hotdish.I tried it on my 18'' no video.I am in chicago,Il 60643.My southmost sat is amc3 k3@87 deg. I get hi signal but no video Latitude 41.69 longtitude87.65.I want to setup the hotdish first then put it on my sg2100. help