New job!

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
After 3 1/2 years I finally decided to dust off my CV and start looking for a new job - sent it off to a couple of places last Monday, both replied, had an interview last Wednesday (got another next week), and yesterday got a letter offering me a position as a Software Engineer!!

My main responsibility will be developing software to run on embedded linux distros using dynamic C - might even learn how to do something useful with my dreambox ;)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well done _stu_, always good to hear some positive news. :)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Well done. Proper programming :)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Well done mate, it's always such great news to hear when someone has a new job.

As a final year student, I'm fearing that I might struggle to get anything even half decent once I leave. Apparently, 3 years of degree study and 2 of A levels just aren't enough to even consider you as a trainee! I should have had the fore-thought to be the son of a millionare, so I coud have gone to public school, it seems.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
3 years of degree study and 2 of A levels

Depends what in and what you want to do. Anyone can get a degree- it's your experience that makes a difference.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
mhku said:
Depends what in and what you want to do. Anyone can get a degree- it's your experience that makes a difference.

So I've found out. But still, even going for trainee jobs, they seem to be never happy. I'm sure I'll find something, my degree (English Language) is fairly flexible in terms of transferable skills, it's just that it's a bit soul destroying when you've worked so hard - believe me, I have not been out drinking every night for three years (if barely at all :(), I'm not the most naturally gifted academically so to get an upper 2nd is very good IMO.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Obviously depends on the job you're going for but when unemployment is as low as it seems these days then competition is a lot tougher. That's when a degree will at least get you considered most times.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
going for trainee jobs

Jobs in which sector?

An English language degree is pretty non-specific; for example you'd have a tough time getting an interview for the job Stu got (where experience is everything and degree is fairly academic (no pun intended)).

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
mhku said:
Jobs in which sector?

An English language degree is pretty non-specific; for example you'd have a tough time getting an interview for the job Stu got (where experience is everything and degree is fairly academic (no pun intended)).

Well I gotta admit a lot of it was luck - I really was in the right place at the right time.

I'm currently studying a computing degree at the OU, and this job is perfect for me as by the time I finish my degree I should have 2 years' commercial programming experience to back it up (up until now I have been working as a software tester). Fortunately the company I am moving to were looking for both an experienced programmer and a 'trainee' ;)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
mhku said:
Jobs in which sector?

I'm just talking about office jobs, just to get me on the career ladder. Once I've got a job, then I can start gaining experience - you can see the circularity of the problem here :-doh!.

I can see where employers are coming from, who wants to take a chance on a newbie and have to go through the hassle of training them up (?), but I think I've got potential... because basically I'm the dogs bollocks :p But seriously, I just want a chance, that's all.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
the career ladder.

That seems a strange approach (to me). You either want to be an X, Y or Z or work in A, B or C sector. I'd say the "problem" is not the lack of experience but the lack of what you want to do. Do you have a specific area that interests you?

A typical question at interview is "why do you want this job?". People appearing to be interested in that company or the sector they work will stand a better chance than people who don't say that e.g. a generalist.

I'm not sure if I'm writing what I'm trying to say?

Stu: are you working for one of the manufacturing companies in Blackpole/ Warndon?

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Worcs
mhku said:
That seems a strange approach (to me). You either want to be an X, Y or Z or work in A, B or C sector. I'd say the "problem" is not the lack of experience but the lack of what you want to do. Do you have a specific area that interests you?

A typical question at interview is "why do you want this job?". People appearing to be interested in that company or the sector they work will stand a better chance than people who don't say that e.g. a generalist.

Stu: are you working for one of the manufacturing companies in Blackpole/ Warndon?

Firstly I think it helped that I was very keen on getting this particular job, which probably showed through. I've also got an interview for a place that writes software for insurance brokers, but I can't say I'm very interested in that, even tho it's very close to my house and I would get more holidays.

If I tried I could probably get more money/ holidays etc, but I'm more interested in getting something I would enjoy doing all day. If you have to work for a living, then you might as well do something you enjoy. ;)

Mhku: this place is over near Malvern.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
mhku said:

I see what your saying, but to be honest I just want experience in some industry, and then maybe I'll either carry on doing that, or transfer the skills I've learnt there and do something else.

For example, I've written to some freight shipping companies locally to see whether they would be interested in taking me on as a trainee. I can't, hand on heart, say I've always wanted to work in that industry (who does?!), but it's a good career path with good prospects and is something which I have a interest of sorts in, and I think I have the transferable skills (logistics, team work skills) to be able to adapt to that.

As for doing research on the said company and sector, well that's all you can do, research, and if you like what they do, apply. I don't want to be tied to one sector when I may have a better chance in others, at this stage I'll just to be happy to get a chance somewhere :) .

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Unless you're very lucky or a first class honours student, I think your shotgun approach will be unsuccessful. Identifying a sector that you are more interested in (and who really wants to work) will allow you to research it, read trade websites, forums etc. to give you the edge on the competition. If sending a speculative letter try to use this knowledge and SELL yourself- tell them why they HAVE to employ you, or at least get a meeting.

A mind map might help you ID an area? http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Anyway, good luck :)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
mhku said:
A mind map might help you ID an area? http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Anyway, good luck :)

Cheers, I'll give that a go, can't do any harm :)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under...