Newbie Here New member from s.africa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have been told I need at 1.5 metre ku motorised dish and a 2.3 metre c band motorised dish to pick up FTA signals in S.Africa. It will be an adventure.
My Location
South Africa, Eastern cape
Hiya,

Newbie signing in.

I apologize in advance for all the mundane questions I will ask.

This isn't the place etc .. I will find the right ones.

Best wishes

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
Welcome to satellites.co.uk

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Been invited to Cape Town for work, but the flight arrangements and logistics of the trip interfered with other installs, despite the similar timezone issues.

What are you hoping to receive with the current system and what do you have in reserve?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have been told I need at 1.5 metre ku motorised dish and a 2.3 metre c band motorised dish to pick up FTA signals in S.Africa. It will be an adventure.
My Location
I am starting from scratch .. but have an enquiring mind and a decent budget .. plus space to put dishes.

I have been advised I need to track 46e (which appears to have a footprint from Axerspace-1 c band to get me going and 68e (Intelsat-20)

I got a satellite pointer app for my phone, and both are there. Can post pics if it helps etc.

Dish size will be the biggest issue (sourcing it - 80cm seems about the biggest stocked locally) and am advised to look for between
1.8m KU band and 2.3 m C band set-ups.

A lot of this is v new to me .. and I will need help, thou I have an associate in Europe helping me.

The actual installation will be a nightmare .. I expect to have to pay someone from Europe to come - but will experiment first etc.

S.Africans are v friendly. If u come, I can give u lots of holiday tips etc.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I tried to attach a pic but it got too big .. and this probably isn't the right place anyway.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Azerspace can work where you are, as will Intel 20, but you still need to explain what you want to receive.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I don't want to fall foul of any forum rules.

I am a sports fanatic and believe there are some channels I can pick up, utilizing some other equipment.

I don't know, but I am willing to learn/experiment.

I have multiple paid subscriptions to the local satellite company DStv, but the feed is ridiculously far behind live. I am trying
to get raw feeds.

If discussion of this is not allowed, plse delete.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
In run betting??

Not that megarain surely, he cannot be that stupid.

The Feds running this site will already have clocked him from the name, greenallover.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I have been advised I need to track 46e (which appears to have a footprint from Axerspace-1 c band to get me going and 68e (Intelsat-20)

Dish size will be the biggest issue (sourcing it - 80cm seems about the biggest stocked locally) and am advised to look for between
1.8m KU band and 2.3 m C band set-ups....

Personally, I would go for a 3.0m dish to try to ensure it is of sufficient size to capture the signals. You might get away with a 2.3m or 2.4m dish but there is no guarantee, especially for C-Band from 68.5 East (Intelsat 20).

Last edited:
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ok, thx for the help.

This is not an area I understand .. sorry if I stupid.

Will go away and learn stuff .. just saying hello, and gettng called names isn't so great.

Anyway ..

Best wishes

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Coining the same name as a prolific poster on blogs /forums linked to gambling exchanges is bound to attract attention, even on a hobbyist site this one.

Do you wish to change it ?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Coining the same name as a prolific poster on blogs /forums linked to gambling exchanges is bound to attract attention, even on a hobbyist site this one.

Do you wish to change it ?
Sure, I had little idea etc. I am no gambler

Change it to ‘Man on the steps’

Thsnks

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
@megarain

If you simply ask for guidance on the equipment needed to view 46.0 East and 68.5 East in the C-Band frequency range from your location in South Africa then there are quite a few members on this site that might able to help you. Similarly, if you have a need to view various satellites that use the Ku-Band frequency range there are members who might offer advice.

To get you started I have made a few comments below that may be useful. I am working on the premis that you are a novice and with just a little knowledge on the topic:

1. The first thing to do is to assess your need, the equipment required and look into sourcing it. If you are comfortable with the cost of sourcing and installing the equipment then you can begin your journey. It will probably be a roller coaster ride but with a bit of determination should be achievable.

2. For the C-Band frequency range an old mesh dish will do rather than a solid dish. I am not sure how easy it is to source a large dish in your location, you may have to import one. If you do need to import a dish and can cope with the cost and logistics then eBay.com is a useful resource for large second hand C-Band dishes subject to the vendor being willing to crate it up and ship internationally. The other useful web site where you might find large C-Band dishes for sale is Craigs List. I have pasted below a couple of links

10ft motorised C-Band dish (unfortunately seller says collection only, (USA)

Craigs List

If you can source a large dish locally then all the better, there will be quite a saving on shippping costs and logistics.

3. For the Ku-Band frequency range then a smaller dish is generally OK. I would look for something around 1.8m in size. You might have more success in sourcing a 1.8m motorised dish setup locally.

4. Before finalising any purchase of equipment I would recommend that you check out the availability of a competent person/organisation that can install it for you. Otherwise you may end up with some decent quality satellite equipment lying around in crates and boxes awaiting its fate.

Good luck.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
much thanks

I ran into a satellite installer today who said the biggest dish he had seen was 1.2m, but gave me the numbers of his suppliers.

Will hunt around.

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
@ Man on the steps - - - just a long shot but need to ask due to your location.
Amos-17 @ 17°E is due very soon to start downlinking signals/programs etc, part of it's Ku services is two beams that have footprints shown in Africa that will use the new Ku band lnb's for 13.4 to 13.65 GHz - do any of your installer contacts or yourself know if there is any sign of these new band lnb's or lnbf's for purchase yet in your part of the world - information re: these is very thin on the ground. Tia.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi John

I think long shot is a v decent assessment of the situation. Customer service doesn't really exist in S.Africa. You have to be painstakingly
patient and bite your tongue.

This is how I spent the last week :

I contacted what appears to be the major supplier in Johannesburg via the sales desk. The sales desk sent my email to someone
who hasn't responded in 7 days, and 1 further follow-up email. (maybe hes on holiday - maybe he doesn't care/cant help)

I tried to contact the 2nd biggest supplier. The 2 email addresses on their website both bounce emails. The phone number asks
you to leave a msg, which no one responds to.

I contacted someone who displayed an advert saying they could install etc. We had a chat by phone on Tuesday. I asked him for
estimates, and have heard nothing.

I reached out to an advert on the local gumtree. No response.

Maybe it's me etc, but I am thinking help on the ground over here will be in short supply.

Despite this, I am undaunted and have composed an email to a UK satellite supplier, who maybe will respond better, and will send in a few days.

Using a satellite finder app, I can see Amos-2 v low on the horizon at 4 degrees west, Amos -3 and Amos-7 and Amos-4.

I can't see any others, but maybe Amos-17 is not yet transmitting.

I am very willing to try and locate the satellite. I have bought some other equipment off amazon, (next day delivery to Uk address). What
size dish would I need ?

I am reading what I can - and have bought 'How to install UK satellite Tv'.

I hope you pleased you asked .. lol

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Hi John

I think long shot is a v decent assessment of the situation. Customer service doesn't really exist in S.Africa. You have to be painstakingly
patient and bite your tongue.

This is how I spent the last week :

I contacted what appears to be the major supplier in Johannesburg via the sales desk. The sales desk sent my email to someone
who hasn't responded in 7 days, and 1 further follow-up email. (maybe hes on holiday - maybe he doesn't care/cant help)

I tried to contact the 2nd biggest supplier. The 2 email addresses on their website both bounce emails. The phone number asks
you to leave a msg, which no one responds to.

I contacted someone who displayed an advert saying they could install etc. We had a chat by phone on Tuesday. I asked him for
estimates, and have heard nothing.

I reached out to an advert on the local gumtree. No response.

Maybe it's me etc, but I am thinking help on the ground over here will be in short supply.

Despite this, I am undaunted and have composed an email to a UK satellite supplier, who maybe will respond better, and will send in a few days.

Using a satellite finder app, I can see Amos-2 v low on the horizon at 4 degrees west, Amos -3 and Amos-7 and Amos-4.

I can't see any others, but maybe Amos-17 is not yet transmitting.

I am very willing to try and locate the satellite. I have bought some other equipment off amazon, (next day delivery to Uk address). What
size dish would I need ?

I am reading what I can - and have bought 'How to install UK satellite Tv'.

I hope you pleased you asked .. lol

Ahh ok, thanks for replying. Sounds to be a right struggle for you and hope you get some success soon.
As far as i know Amos-17 has not started with any firm programming as yet on the three bands it has available - C / Ku / Ka and what bit of information is out there is a bit limited in it's information so we are all a bit blind at the moment and will have to wait until they release more detailed reception info :Y

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Following on from your question, I looked at other Amos satellites, and found Amos-7, and Eutelsat 8w.

8w seems to have a lot of FTA sports channels and am thinking this would be a good place to dip my feet in etc.

How do you work out what type of dish you need to track etc ?

I am guessing KU band is better, and have found this ad.

The price is about 600GBP. Is that fair etc, and would it be mission impossible as a first install? Wife fairly happy to put a dish
next to the pool, or roof next to the pool.

Thx for any advice. Hope not to have broken any forum rules.

Attachments

• gumtree.jpg
    gumtree.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 8w.PNG
    8w.PNG
    266.4 KB · Views: 19
  • fta.jpg
    fta.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 21
  • align.PNG
    align.PNG
    369.4 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bigger pic of gumtree adgum bigger.jpg