Newbie Here New member from s.africa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have been told I need at 1.5 metre ku motorised dish and a 2.3 metre c band motorised dish to pick up FTA signals in S.Africa. It will be an adventure.
My Location
South Africa, Eastern cape
The seller has responded that he thinks they are proline.

Also :

If you take both I will include 2 non penetrating roof mounts. The dishes cost over R30k each new and are high quality heavy duty transmit receive dishes.

Have asked to see them tomorrow afternoon. I don't think the original picture had anything to do with the items for sale. But will investigate.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have been told I need at 1.5 metre ku motorised dish and a 2.3 metre c band motorised dish to pick up FTA signals in S.Africa. It will be an adventure.
My Location
He's confirmed the actual dishes are in storage, and he's not available tomorrow. Will try for next week.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The seller has responded that he thinks they are proline.

Also :

If you take both I will include 2 non penetrating roof mounts. The dishes cost over R30k each new and are high quality heavy duty transmit receive dishes.

Have asked to see them tomorrow afternoon. I don't think the original picture had anything to do with the items for sale. But will investigate.

I thought the advert said the non penetrating roof mounts were included? He is not offering a deal by including something the advert says is included.

"We have 2x 2.4m KU/C Band Transmit quality VSAT antennas with non penetrating roof mounts included"

Try to negotiate the price down, the sellers advert was created 2 years ago and he has not sold them. He is currently asking a reduced price of R 9999 in the advert title. Wave R 15,000 cash in front of his nose for the pair of them, see if he has a sniff.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
He's confirmed the actual dishes are in storage, and he's not available tomorrow. Will try for next week.

If you get the opportunity and the number is available phone him and tell him if he wants to sell he needs to sweeten up a bit otherwise he has lost a sale. He aint sold in 2 years and he wont sell in another 2 years unless he gets his act together.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
You are a hard negotiator.

They are in a v expensive storage facility .. so hope they well maintained etc. My concerns are that all the bits are there.

I will take as many pics as I can.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
You are a hard negotiator.

Not really, the combined price for the pair of them is R 19,998 based on his current asking price. Offering him a 25% reduced price on something that has not sold in two years is a good point to begin negotiating with him. Fresh green waved in front of the nose works wonders.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I presume this is what they should look like :

prodelin pcs.jpg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
One of the youtube videos I have watched mentioned grounding equipment.

Would that normally come with the dish ? or you have to buy separately ?

Thx

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Proline is slang/alternate for Prodelin.

Don't worry about grounding stuff, it is usually part of the ground install and these are already boxed up and stored away. You will get the dish and mount, with possibly the feed system only.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The seller hasn't responded for 2 days in my trying to arrange a new viewing etc.

It doesn't feel right, so I have told him I am not interested.

I am viewing a different 3m C band dish on Monday, with a person I met today. Will post pics then.

Sorry for anyones wasted time.

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
The seller hasn't responded for 2 days in my trying to arrange a new viewing etc.

I am viewing a different 3m C band dish on Monday, with a person I met today. Will post pics then.

... No problem, keep us informed of your new search outcomes :Y

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

Your other option for a C-Band dish if you cannot source one locally would be to import a multi piece mesh dish from China. This is not as difficult as it may sound. The dishes are cheap and can be shipped in a wooden crate to a port in South Africa. There is a topic on the forum that includes prices I was quoted by one of the Chinese suppliers, link below. Posts 1, 14 and 17 in the topic contain prices I was quoted.

You would possibly need to organise a freight forwarder at your end to collect the equipment from the port, clear any customs and deliver it to you. Alternatively you could look into collecting from the port yourself.

The package they supply includes a 3.7m mesh dish (8 petals), ground stand and polar mount. A mesh dish will be good for C-Band but it's Ku-Band performance will not be so good. If a 3.7m dish sounds too large then they do sell smaller sizes.

Good luck with the 3.0m dish you are viewing on Monday, lets hope it is in good condition. Dont forget to take photos of the dish and any other equipment that comes with it. Do you know at this stage if it is on a mount that can be motorised or what type of mount arrangement it has, if any?

Last edited:
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks for everyone's input.

I now feel in a much happier place, having had a meeting with the resident sat expert in a nearby town (he's the last left, as other 2 have either moved on, or passed on)

He gave me a history of all the Big Dishes that used to be set-up by v wealthy individuals .. but that market has been replaced by the local sat company DSTV, which is accessible by an 800 cm dish. They transmit from Intelsat 20, at 68.5 E.

He doesn't recommend a motorized system for a number of reasons :

1. They are v costly to set-up
2. The support staff are at least 3 hrs away
3. The nature of satellites in this area means the arc to scan is v large.

So, we are thinking of putting up multiple fixed dishes. I am buying a $500 satellite pointer on Monday, which will give a better idea
of the actual satellites in my area. The app on my phone seems quite a bit off in direction, as am picking up DSTV on a KU band dish, in
one direction and the app says the satellite is about 15 degrees off. (the pointer has a TV pic built in to it .. and have seen some videos on Youtube)

Anyway, my initial build will hopefully be a C band 3-metre dish, on a fixed mount.

The dish is fairly old, but he says its in great condition and was exceptionally well made (USA) if I recall. Will get all the
details when I visit his shop on Monday. Its gonna be aimed at Intelsat 5. He wants about $250 for it.

AsiaSat5 doesn't show on my app .. which is a shame, as there appear to be many sports available. maybe the sat pointer will pick it up, or as
I am just on the v fringe, the 3 m dish might see it.

Anyway, looking forward to next week.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
@Man on the steps ,

There are quite a few DSTV frequencies in Ku-Band on 36.0 East just in case that is adding to the confusion re the app being out?
If you decide to go with the multiple fixed dish option then it might be sensible to make a list of the main satellites you think you will wish to receive.

When you go to view the dish next week you could ask the seller if he does have a polar mount that would be suitable for it. Even if you do not get the polar mount installed professionally, provided the dish is mounted on it and you have a digital inclinometer it should not be difficult to manually align the dish on other satellites.

Even if the polar mount does not track an arc you can manually adjust the Azimuth and Elevation with fine tuning easier than using a fixed mount on a large dish. Also, there are several forum members who have experience with setting up polar mounts, with some help here from the forum there is no reason why you could not setup a polar mount yourself once the dish is up on the mount.

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks for everyone's input.

I now feel in a much happier place, having had a meeting with the resident sat expert in a nearby town (he's the last left, as other 2 have either moved on, or passed on)

He gave me a history of all the Big Dishes that used to be set-up by v wealthy individuals .. but that market has been replaced by the local sat company DSTV, which is accessible by an 800 cm dish. They transmit from Intelsat 20, at 68.5 E.

He doesn't recommend a motorized system for a number of reasons :

1. They are v costly to set-up
2. The support staff are at least 3 hrs away
3. The nature of satellites in this area means the arc to scan is v large.

So, we are thinking of putting up multiple fixed dishes. I am buying a $500 satellite pointer on Monday, which will give a better idea
of the actual satellites in my area. The app on my phone seems quite a bit off in direction, as am picking up DSTV on a KU band dish, in
one direction and the app says the satellite is about 15 degrees off. (the pointer has a TV pic built in to it .. and have seen some videos on Youtube)

Anyway, my initial build will hopefully be a C band 3-metre dish, on a fixed mount.

The dish is fairly old, but he says its in great condition and was exceptionally well made (USA) if I recall. Will get all the
details when I visit his shop on Monday. Its gonna be aimed at Intelsat 5. He wants about $250 for it.

AsiaSat5 doesn't show on my app .. which is a shame, as there appear to be many sports available. maybe the sat pointer will pick it up, or as
I am just on the v fringe, the 3 m dish might see it.

Anyway, looking forward to next week.

You could keep an eye out for a torus/simulsat antenna

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Here is the 3.0m dish.

I am not sure of the price .. I think it will be around £500 installed.

5A411818-5983-4A14-B738-791C14734700.jpegD7A32E35-A1B4-401B-9472-1385F61976F0.jpeg6DCCA3CA-CB7E-49D4-B772-E05EA50E5557.jpeg58796A23-52CE-42E5-9A09-93DACCA72FB1.jpeg94A29BCC-DE49-412C-961C-73F3E4F46B0F.jpeg

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
@Man on the steps

According to the document, that is a Winegard Pinnacle dish, it is a very good C-Band dish, real top class. Is the mesh in good condition with no tears or damage and no distortion to the panels, it looks in good condition in the photos?

If you can buy it for £500 including installation it is definitely worth it.

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It would be interesting to know if Telsat Systems / Electronics still exists as the sole Winegard distributor in South Africa as mentioned, or is still trading since that dish looks like it has spent many years under the sun.

Last edited: