New Member Here - Hi - RUSSIA/UKRAINE

dannyboypipe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NOTHING AS YET
My Location
DORSET
Hi there people, hope your all well.

Just found this site and wanted to get some advice from you experienced people. I've been looking to purchasing some extra TV channels at home as my wife is Russian with her parents now living in Ukraine. As the wife misses her TV shows and we have the inlaws over a fair amount, I want to get some extra channels for my home.

A friend of mine said he had seens something advertised in a store such as Lidl (or similiar) that was a digi-box (apparantly) that was a simple plug & play operation & picked up channels from Ukraine and Russia.

Can any of you guys & gals offer any advice on where I could find this type of product???

At present I only have freeview box which is sufficent for me, but I would like to have an increase in channels that originate from the countries specified.

Appreciate your advice

Cheers
DannyBoy

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A Free to Air receiver and a 90cm dish should get you few channels, do you prefer Russian or Ukranian?

dannyboypipe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NOTHING AS YET
My Location
DORSET
Thanks - Russian would be my preferance.

Sorry to be a donut - but how would i get this all set up & approx cost?

Thanks
Dan

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Dish and receiver probably about £150, you can set it up yourself, you would probably only need an 80cm dish for Hotbird 13East, where you would get the following channels:

Music Box Ru
Perviy kanal Vsemirnaya setj Europa
Planeta Sport
RTR Planeta
Russia Today
TBN Rossiya

You could also buy a receiver which is patchable and gain a little more of interest from that satellite as well. :)

dannyboypipe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NOTHING AS YET
My Location
DORSET
You could also buy a receiver which is patchable and gain a little more of interest from that satellite as well. :)

What does patchable mean?

gain a little more interest - do you mean other channels??

Would that dish pick up any other channels, russian or others in addition to the 6 you've listed?

Thanks
Dan

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Here's a list of what is on that satellite http://www.lyngsat.com/hotbird.html

There are loads of free to air channels on that satellite, b ut also some which aren't, but with the right software patch on the receiver, become accessible. ;)

You will benefit from having a read through the forum.

dannyboypipe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NOTHING AS YET
My Location
DORSET
Thanks for all your info - I'll check this out.

Appreciate your advice

Dan

me123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500CIP+
motorised receiver
without diseqc
90cm dish
My Location
Derbyshire
I will get shot down by the experts for saying this but, if you intend to buy a motorised (movable) dish, fixing it correctly on the wall is far from easy and scanning the arc properly to receive the satellite signals is not simple either. If you are very technically minded it may seem simple but, if like me you are a very capable diy-er but technically not so good, you may struggle ... and getting someone to set the system up for you might cost £200 - £300. You can get a dish with two Lnbs (the bits that stick out!) fixed to receive the main satellites of hotbird and astra. Hotbird and Sirius are the main sats for Russian/Ukrainian tv. Hope that helps.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
me123 said:
I will get shot down by the experts for saying this but, if you intend to buy a motorised (movable) dish, fixing it correctly on the wall is far from easy and scanning the arc properly to receive the satellite signals is not simple either. If you are very technically minded it may seem simple but, if like me you are a very capable diy-er but technically not so good, you may struggle ... and getting someone to set the system up for you might cost £200 - £300. You can get a dish with two Lnbs (the bits that stick out!) fixed to receive the main satellites of hotbird and astra. Hotbird and Sirius are the main sats for Russian/Ukrainian tv. Hope that helps.

:-saw
Actually I prefer chainsaws :D

But really, motors and receivers etc. do take a bit of playing, anyone who wants to have a go at it will succeed as long as he/she is patient and ready to spend time reading the relevant threads here. There are always people here ready to help and answer questions. As long as there is no time pressure I am sure anyone can do it.