New member ( Novice) Help and recommendations please

rossdavinson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky tv laptop 2m broadband
My Location
Durham uk
Hello everyone

Could you please give me a bit of help. I am brand new to all this. I have searched google for some time but am very confused. At present I have a sky dish and a sky HD box.
I am looking to get this out and in the long run get more for less ( £). Can someone tell me what is the best set up with my current dish? What can I get with a different box.
What is the best dish to get if not the one I have and who sells these boxes and dishes. The ideal situation for me is to get Premier league and other football, some films and some other channels like sky.. Is this possible? I live in Durham area.

I am not sure how to get started. I have read lots of things. Most of the packages I have read for the football are a fortune (£1000+). I have also read about card sharing. I understand this mat be not exactly legal and I don't really understand how to set it up either.

Thank you in advance for any help given.:):)

Ross

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hello & welcome to the forum.

The best option with your current dish is probably Sky UK!

Or Freesat from the BBC.

You can get football but depending on exactly what you want it may well end up costing more than your current setup. For example if you want a good selection of Prem games in HD you are probably looking at well over 1000 quid a year using a foreign card sourced from a uk reseller. (Havent looked at the exact prices recently as Im not interested in prem games)

The exact status of the "holy grail" 3pm matches is in flux at the moment - things are changing from week to week. A couple of months ago you could get a choice of all the 3pms with the right subscription. Now any one provider is restricted to one game.

Card sharing is very illegal indeed and you wont get any detailed help in setting up on this forum.

We will NEVER suggest c/s over having your own subscription here - c/s is fraught with problems with everything from overloaded cards causing picture corruption when there are slow key updates to you not knowing who is running the operation - Russian Mafia or Sky UK running a sting operation maybe?

rossdavinson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Durham uk
Thanks for the reply. Can you not get boxes so you can access stuff like setanta Ireland and the like , or some European channels with premier league football on?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Setanta Irelansd is only available with a Sky sub registered to an Irish address.

And yes you can get foreign channels that show Prem games but see my previous post.

rossdavinson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Durham uk
Thanks again for the reply.

If the best option with my current dish is what I have. Can I get a better set up with a different dish and what is available to watch that I cant get now. Surely there must be a better option than sky fleecing me every month or why does this forum exist. Or am I missing something?.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
If thinking of viewing other satellites, from other providers, you would be best getting a larger, motorized, dish. First work out where you can site your dish, to get at least all the satellites from 42E to 30W, then work out which size would be preferable. You are allowed up to a 1 Metre dish without applying for planning permission.
Have a look through some of the photos, in the members picture section:
Pictures of Members' Setups and general satellite installations

Over the years many of us upgrade/change our receiver but usually keep the dish/motor.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
rossdavinson said:
Thanks again for the reply.

If the best option with my current dish is what I have. Can I get a better set up with a different dish and what is available to watch that I cant get now. Surely there must be a better option than sky fleecing me every month or why does this forum exist. Or am I missing something?.

It depends what you want away from football - there are thousands of channels available around the satellites above Europe, but if you want a good selection of English language entertainment then you cant beat Sky UK.

Things like Discovery & Nat Geographic are available on other pay platforms, but the uk specific stuff like Sky 1 are only available on the "Sky UK" satellites at 28E.

Ive probably got access to more than 2000 channels, but there are no more than a handful of none news channels that transmit in English in the clear. (I dont care about this - I like watching the foreign stuff and finding new channel launches -thats half the fun of the hobby for me!)

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
Ross you might be able to find Hotbird 13E and get TVE International. This is a Spanish channel which does sometimes transmit football games from the Spanish Liga and Premier League. Don´t know if this helps.