New Mimail worm disguised as PayPal e-mail

N

net1

Users are being warned about a new variant of the Mimail worm on the loose that takes victims to a fake PayPal web page in an attempt to steal credit card details, silicon.com reports.

The variant, W32/Mimail-I, hits inboxes with the subject line "Your Paypal.com account expires" and tells the users they need to update their credit card details because of a new security policy being implemented.

The email tells the victim not to send personal information via email, saying that email is insecure – and asks them to run an attached program instead. The attached file, 'www.paypal.com.scr', brings up a pop-up box with a PayPal logo when run that requests a user's credit card details including card number, PIN number and expiry date.

Not only are gullible or unsuspecting users fleeced of their credit card details but Mimail-I sends itself to everybody whose email address appears on the victim's hard disk in order to spread itself.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Thanks for the warning, as I received this e-mail. I don't think that I would have given my details but then again who knows.
Anyway thanks to your report they got nothing.
Cheers.