new pc

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds good BRD, can't help with the DVD info, I've got a write -r myself, but have yet to use it, it was one of those must have purchases. :D

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
BRD :) I like it, seems a very good deal, so go for it. Just one point, don't know your circs, but the 17" TFT is brilliant and just about the equivilent of a 19" standard monitor.

Should add that a DVD Ram is a writeable DVD used mainly on DVD machines, (connected to televisions) which can record to DVD, such as the Panasonic ones. Not really required for DVD writers in PCs where DVD -R and DVD -RW will do the job.

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
great :-cheers

thanks for your help chaps.

i think i`ll plump for the 17" TFT as the 15" version is out of stock and has been substituted for a Relysis which doesn`t have the best of reviews.
2 1/2 weeks delivery time at the moment so i`ll order tommorrow.

thanks again :)

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
A lot of these systems put poor sound and video cards in. Basically the two things that cost a lot. If you spend a bit more time looking about I bet you could shave at least £200 of the above and get one with the a couple of decent cards, as above.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No Pete, the sound and graphics on this one look good.

Full Specification
Matrix XP 2600+ Premier
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Processor
ASUS A7N8X nForce2 Deluxe Mainboard
512MB DDR 333 RAM (PC2700) Memory
120GB 7200rpm Ultra DMA-133 HDD with 8MB Buffer
128MB nVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 - Personal Cinema
17" Sharp TFT Flat Panel Multimedia Monitor**
SONY DVD Multi Burner* + 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio with Soundstorm technology
Creative Inspire 6700 6.1 - (FREE upgrade from 5.1)
Internet Ready V.92 56Kbps data/fax/voice modem
Network Ready integrated 10/100 Ethernet Adaptor
Gamepad + Joystick + X-treme-2 Games Bundle
Creative Labs Web-Cam
Microsoft Windows XP Home Ed + Microsoft Works 7.0
FREE Pinnacle Studio 8 SE Video Editing Software
FREE 3 Year On-Site Warranty (UK Mainland only)
Midi Tower Case/6 USBs + Additional Features

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
The sound card sounds like an oem version, from what I can glean about £20. The graphics card doesnt sound to bad though.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The Creative inspire retails at around £90, so not a bad one either.

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Mesh_Shop__20198

oh dear! this doesn`t make pretty reading.

im keeping this thread going until I buy something because I think it makes interesting reading for anyone like me who hasn`t a great deal of knowledge on computer hardware.

my telephone experiences of mesh seem to match the comments above so i`m not buying off them! and that`s just the sales line, not the technical help line!
i called 3 times and was on hold for 15 minutes, 10 minutes and 15 minutes respectively.

i`ts also interesting how prices have changed since jimbo made his suggested spec about 5 months ago

i`ll keep looking! ^-J

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
It's always difficult to take the plunge because there are so many companies whose service leaves a lot to be desired. Mesh do have their problems, maybe brought about by their own success. I've purchased 7 PCs from them, 2 for me, 2 for friends and 3 for work. Never had a problem and earlier in the year when I broke the tray of my DVD burner, Mesh replaced it FOC in 2 days. I only recommend them because they use genuine parts and the spec seems VFM. I don't actually need their help desk so I see things from a different perspective I suppose. Anyway, BRD let us know how things go. :)

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
You`re right Jim, its so difficult.
Its not just Mesh`s problem, I`m sure they are a victim of their own success as you say and probably have thousands of happy customers but many pc suppliers seem to suffer greatly when it comes to after sales sevice.

I was given a great link (below) for customer ratings of suppliers. It has proven really useful for me. I`m currently speaking to a local firm called protec computers who are listed on this site and am also considering a system at Toys R Us which seems excellent value.

The search goes on :) :) :) :)

http://www.romulus2.com/feedback/chart.php?1

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
well after 8 months and 19 days of ferretting, bartering, bargaining, complaining and whinging i am delighted to say i have finally purchased a new desktop pc

in the end the 0% for 12 months offer at toys r us triumphed but i have to say all in all its an excellent spec. last minute scare as they are discontinuing this version very soon and i didn`t like the replacement version but they are having one delivered to my house f.o.c from down south on thursday.

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!! ^-J ^-J ^-J :) ^-J ^-J

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
That's good news BRD, will be able to put a new message on your weasel screen. :)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
:) Hurrah.....War and Peace II comes to a happy conclusion.

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
jimbo said:
:) Hurrah.....War and Peace II comes to a happy conclusion.
not quite!!!!!!!! :-bash

oh deary deary deary deary deary me!
toys r us have just demonstrated the most incompetent, inefficient, careless, disinterested display you ever saw and it goes like this..

monday - pc ordered from store down south, phone call promised for tuesday to confirm delivery by wednesday

tuesday - no phone call

wednesday - no phone call so i rang them. 40 minutes on hold followed by`oh very sorry we didn`t ring blah blah blah` - phone call promised for thursday to confirm now revised delivery date of friday

thursday - no phone call

friday - no phone call so i rang them. 30 minutes on hold followed by `sorry the managers not available`. after i had expoded down the phone line and threatened to analy insert said computer in to the managers rectum i was told they would ring me back

2 hours later - no phone call so i rang head office who said they would ring the store

1 hour later the manager calls to say he has good news and bad news
the bad news is the pc is still in coventry - its not moved all week
the good news....they will collect it on monday and i can have it tuesday!!!! and by way of compensation they will give me £30 of vouchers.

i went to the store and got a refund because i thought it was appalling customer service and guess what! no vouchers!

so off i went to my local computer shop, spec in hand.
paid on friday at 3pm, collected shiny new pc at 12 on saturday .
am now very happy :) :) :) :)

THE END

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London