New Question about Sky+

Catwoman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is it possible for someone in the UK - who already has a Sky+ subscription for more than 12 months - to take out a new (2nd) Sky+ subscription on a 160 gig box and still keep the old Sky+ box for use in "another room"? Does it still have to be connected to a phone line? The idea of course is that the old box travels across the channel :-).

Catwoman

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Catwoman said:
Does it still have to be connected to a phone line?

If you want to cancel the subscription on the first box and receive only free-to-air then I see no reason. you can move the box but this would lose the advantage of Sky+.

My understanding is, if you want a second subscription at the same address then both receivers have to be connected to the phone line.

Some users have managed to use Sky+ abroad without the phone line, do a search in the forums.

Catwoman

Reaction score
gameboy said:
My understanding is, if you want a second subscription at the same address then both receivers have to be connected to the phone line.

I was afraid of that :-(. So it doesn't matter if the first sub is more than 12 months old then? I wonder what happens with people who don't have a 2nd phone line and don't want to install one.

Catwoman

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Catwoman said:
gameboy said:
I wonder what happens with people who don't have a 2nd phone line and don't want to install one.

They both connect to the one line.

Catwoman

Reaction score
gameboy said:
They both connect to the one line.
Yes, OK, but that still means cables, extra socket, extra phone, extra costs. Can the people at Sky realistically expect people to do this? And this is probably a dumb question but if you have 2 Sky boxes connected to the same phone line, can they really tell that both are connected?

Catwoman

johnkwok

Reaction score
Catwoman said:
Yes, OK, but that still means cables, extra socket, extra phone, extra costs. Can the people at Sky realistically expect people to do this? And this is probably a dumb question but if you have 2 Sky boxes connected to the same phone line, can they really tell that both are connected?

Catwoman
Yes they can. I was having trouble with my ADSL modem recently so I disconnected the second box. I got a reminder letter from Sky yesterday!

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
johnkwok said:
Yes they can. I was having trouble with my ADSL modem recently so I disconnected the second box. I got a reminder letter from Sky yesterday!

But do you have the £10 mirror sub on another box?

Sky do check up on mirror sub people, but it’s still unclear if they now also check up on people with one Sky+ subscription.

makum101

Reaction score
My Location
Tenerife South, Torviscas Alto
I have a sky plus abroad. I had it in the Uk for over 1 year before bringing it out. It works fine without a phone line (still subscribing from UK address)

What happens if I REPLACE my version 1 plus box with the new 160 plus box, do i have to resign the BIB agreement and plug it into the phone?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
makum101 said:
What happens if I REPLACE my version 1 plus box with the new 160 plus box, do i have to resign the BIB agreement and plug it into the phone?

If you want a subsidised box (from Sky) they will ask you to sign again.

If you buy the box yourself then you only need to phone them to pair it with your card. tell them the other box broke and you bpought a new one - shouldn't be a problem.

makum101

Reaction score
My Location
Tenerife South, Torviscas Alto
Thanks Gameboy.

One more q for you...

I have a mate out here who subscribes to normal sky via a uk address. He wants me to bring him a plus box back from argos when I visit blighty in 2 weeks time. Will sky make him sign the agreement seeing he is upgrading from normal Sky to plus? (he's subscribed to normal sky for years)

Cheers in advance

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
makum101 said:
It used to be that if you've already had one interactive discount then $ly won't give you another - but this was in the pre $ly+ days.

It may be different if you are upgrading as they encourage this - they get more money you see!

PaulR

szhjcn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ 160
My Location
Switzerland
I've just upgraded from Sky to Sky+ 160 whilst abroad. Subscription is to a UK Address, Sky Boxes were bought directly from Satellite shops (no subsidy, but did get the Sky+ 160 shipped without the VAT cost as we are outside the EU). Main thing to be careful of when enabling the Card it's best to do this using a UK phone (UK, Mobile abroad) or have someone in the UK phone them for you while you have them on a second phone to anwer questions. They get suspicous if they see the number is blocked from your phone (friend had big problems because of this).

My Old box is now used as a Digital Radio Tuner, but would like to get a second card to enable other programmes (don't want to subscribe to Multi-room).