New Regulations coming in next year

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Better get those electrical odd jobs out the way before 1st Jan

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, my contractor pal was saying about this, yet more paperwork for him, just never seems to end.

guiri

Reaction score
My Location
Manchester, UK
It's not just paperwork for the contractors, these regulations bring domestic wiring firmly under the Building Regulations, meaning that there is a real limit on the electrical DIY that you can do legally - for example, it will no longer be legitimate to add new circuits let alone rewire a house as a DIY job (ie. without the necessary competence and testing certificates etc).

psats

Reaction score
This is the same as the gas one more paperwork for the contractors
my m8 is not very happy

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
This government seem hell bent on bringing out regulations that are impossible to enforce. When is a DIY job not a DIY job. Lets see the definition. Next we'll have to employ an electrician to change a lightbulb (I feel a joke coming on there) and a plumber to turn on a hosepipe in order to wash the car. Imagine what the DIY stores think, they will have millions of pounds worth of stock to get rid of. Bureaucratic Bull***t if you ask me

loftyj

Reaction score
I remember when the first HGV licences were issued, and a lorry driver that used to deliver some of the machinery for the firm I was an engineer with, when he was sent for his test he took his cab with him and asked the tester to drive it to see if he new how to drive. Result was given his licence at once. Mind you it was the push tractor of the 150 ton pull push unit.
Just wonder how many of the testers handing out these new bits of paper will know as much as the people thay are testing.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
How can they tell if you have added a plug or two or ten?

Err... that was done before the regulations came in mate!!!

The only way to do this is if the job is under building control aready - as i see it.

JohnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pioneer PDP- LX5090 50"TV
2x Samsung 50" TV
Sony RDRHXD870 DVD/HDD Recorder
Sony RDRHDX950 DVD/HDD Recorder
Humax Foxsat HD
Technomate TM-5402HD piggy-backed to a
Technomate 5500 CI Dap receiver.
Technomate TM5400C-usb connected also to 1.2 metre mo
My Location
Multi-sat enthusiast in the Heart of England since 1993....
What about people like me Ive been in charge of Airfield communications on an RAF Bomber Base, worked on electronic research at Farnborough.... been a TV engineer, washing machine engineer and have a higher national diploma in electronics (trained by Government scientists).....

Do I also have to call an electrician in to do jobs in my house...???

John

mick

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
you are alowed to add sockets and lights, part p only covers new circuits and installations where there is water i.e kitchens, bathrooms and outside

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
gameboy said:
How can they tell if you have added a plug or two or ten?
Err... that was done before the regulations came in mate!!!
The only way to do this is if the job is under building control aready - as i see it.

Have you seen the depleted stock of twin and earth in the wholesalers lately ?

I think the next level of regulation will be barcoding of cable, serial numbers on consumer boxes, and of course the proof of a receipt for purchase of chocolate boxes, ceiling roses, and anything to do with fixed spurs.

Its going to be interesting if nothing else, to see how small firms get by.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
The thing that worrys me with this rabble at No 10 is that there is a new bill now about bright lighting from your house annoying niehbours, so thats that one next it will be the motorised dish!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
waverider said:
The thing that worrys me with this rabble at No 10 is that there is a new bill now about bright lighting from your house annoying niehbours, so thats that one next it will be the motorised dish!
When I wanted to erect my 1.2mtr polar mount 15 years ago my neigbours were somewhat concerned as to the legality of it so I bit the bullet and applied for planning permission, did the drawings myself and got the planning permission. Money well spent I can tell you........

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Perhaps the regulators have developed a test similar to carbon dating so that they can test the exact date the plastering was done over the cabling, the said plastered wall having to appear in court as a material witness for the prosecution. Honestly we are only talking 20 lives per year, more people die of heart attacks upon receipt of their council tax bills but they don't do anything about them dropping on your met every year!!!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
toppervte33h said:
Perhaps the regulators have developed a test similar to carbon dating so that they can test the exact date the plastering was done over the cabling, the said plastered wall having to appear in court as a material witness for the prosecution. Honestly we are only talking 20 lives per year, more people die of heart attacks upon receipt of their council tax bills but they don't do anything about them dropping on your met every year!!!
Well I just had a chat to a Reg P contractor about this little shindig. It is all about the colour of the cable don't you know! We in The UK in our infinite wisdom have adopted the EU standard for FIXED household cabling. This means that yer regular twin and earth is now Brown and Blue not red and black. Thus when you do any DIY electrical jobs at home, Unless you have a supply of cable at home with the old spec, one look at the consumer unit and a surveyor will know that this has been done recently. he will then ask for your certificate from building regs which should be issued by the installer.

This would have worked perfectly for them except that the new spec cable has been in use by installers for the last 12 months so there is no way now that they can prove if the work was done prior to Jan 2005 or not. You think that is bad you should see what confusion is taking place on industrial with the three phase changes completely stopping industry in it's tracks !!!!