New setup, general info required

lee171181

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+
My Location
kent, uk
Im looking into getting a new satellite setup as I feel im getting completly ripped off by sky now but am quite new to all this and have only just started researching it so am after some advice and a few questions answering.

I have seen various packages offered for sale but am thinking of going with a motorised dish setup using a Technomate receiver, either the 1000D or 1500. Are these receivers a good choice or is there a better solution around and can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

I start getting confused when people start talking about cams and patching the boxes. Am I right in thinking that the cam is required to watch encrypted channels? If so, can I watch any channels wthout a cam, why are there various different ones and do these come built into the box or do I have to buy them seperatly? Also what is the point of patching the box, is this for software upgrades or for reprogramming the cam to enble me to watch more channels?

Finally the main reason I want to get this setup is for premiership football so was looking at the Digitalb supersport card but do I actually need to get this card or can I find the english football by searching one of the other satellites and re-programming one of the cams?

Sorry for all the questions but just trying to get my head round all this and want to be sure im getting the right thing!

Regards, Lee

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
On the basis that your main goal is the footie:-

1. Dish: minimum 90cm (preferably 1m); your idea to have it motorised is excellent.

2. Receiver: the 1500 CI+ is the better choice over the 1000D because it comes with a card reader that can read cards from several providers/encryption system; second, with it you may not need a CAM at all (see further below).

3. Patching: means loading unofficial software unto the receiver over the official software; done because it makes it possible to watch some channels for free that one should normally be paying for. It can normally be done for free or a token sum by the person selling the receiver to you. You should really learn to do it yourself as (a) it is easy to do and (:cool: you will need to update the patch once in a while.

4. CAMs: are similar to PC cards; you insert them into a receiver for two purposes - (a) so that the receiver can accept some provider cards; with a 1500 CI+ you should not need a CAM for this specific purpose; (:cool: some CAMs are used to open free TV that should be otherwise paid for; anyone venturing into this should be careful as some of these CAMs don't last for long for this purpose.

5. Digitalb: yes you can watch premier footie on this by buying the official sports subscription card for between £100 and £160. The official card will work in a TM 1500 without a CAM.

Query: in your case, do you really need a CAM at all?

satseeker3

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1cm Triax eliptical dish to a Jaeger 36v motor. A V box Mk2 positioner to a TM 1500CI Multicrypt decoder.
My Location
Dorset U.K.
Hiya Lee, so many questions but.......I've only just renewed my motorised system, as the motor burnt out after 12 years use. My advice to you is fit your own set-up and stay away from Sky. I told my son-in-law this, and he was mad keen on football too. He bought an Arte card on the Internet for £80 and watched more footy than you could dream of. My set-up is now up and running, and I'm adding movie, sport, documentary, music, mature content channels to the Favourites list every day...FREE. You can select what YOU want to watch from over 5,000 channels on 30 different satellites. Make it your hobby...then there's also SNG which is an exciting part too.
Satseeker3

lee171181

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+
My Location
kent, uk
Thanks for the replies and info. I am still slightly confused over which receiver is the best to go for. I have recently seen a Sat Catcher Voyager 3 box available, does anyone know if this is a good box and how does it compare to the technomate 1500?

Also, if the technomate 1500 box comes with the various Cams built in, am I still able to program these individually to receive more channels as you would with a normal cam?

Thanks

newmannewy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dont have one Investigating my Options as Sky Tv is a ****in RIP OFF
My Location
west mids :)
5. Digitalb: yes you can watch premier footie on this by buying the official sports subscription card for between £100 and £160. The official card will work in a TM 1500 without a CAM.

Query: in your case, do you really need a CAM at all?

IS this the only way to get Live Premiereship Football ? cost of £100 - £160 ?

Once i buy a dish and reciever is there no free channels u can get the footie on ?

newy the newbie

newmannewy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dont have one Investigating my Options as Sky Tv is a ****in RIP OFF
My Location
west mids :)
Hi ppl

I was looking into SKY TV and they are mega expensive and basically ripping ppl off, so i thought i would go with Setanta, just for the sports. So i get hold of an ON digital box (with a card slot) and they tell me after 2 days of trying to get it working that this digi-box isnt compatible with Setanta. (Why i'll never know) so i gotta buy a digital box off them for another £40 for compatibility. so instead of £9.99 a month its now costing me £70 just to set myself up too watch Setanta which is 4 games a month. (Not good).

After this i figured theres gotta be a better way i can watch premiere league football and a few movies. Hence i found this site. What i want to achieve with my system is, be able to watch Live premiereship football, some movies and maybe a bit of mature content.

I have no idea about satellite systems, how they work and what i need to get one set up. I also have no idea of what i can get if i get a satellite system.

here are my questions if anyone can help.

1). Can i watch Live premiere league football and do i need a special cam or viewing card to do it ?
2). Is it english commentary ?
3) Is it illegal to watch it ? whats the chance of getting found out if i do ?
4) Can i get movie channels & are they in english ?
5). What is the cost too set myself up with a system ?
6). Can anyone think of any hidden unforseen problems, costings that i might incur ?

What i think i need:

Motorised 110cm Satelite Triax DIsh: £120 ish
Reciever £100 ish
Cam £80 ish - no idea what they are for.
Leads/ Cables £40

I have no idea what all these viewing cards and cams are, or what they are for, and wether i actually need them or not.

regards

Gaz

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Go to _http://liveonsat.com/, it'll give you an idea of which providers are showing matches.

If you want guaranteed viewing, then the only way to achieve it is to buy a subscription card and even then, a single provider will probably not show all of the matches you require.

Have a look at this thread and this section for information on different packages.

there's quite a bit of reading up to do before you make a decision.