rendez2k

Reaction score
Website
www.rendez.net
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Thomson 160
My Location
United Kingdom
Hello! I've just signed up to Sky+ last night, and I thought I'd ask a few questions before the box arrives at the weekend!

Firstly, what kind/make/HDD size of Sky+ box am I likely to get (it was £89 directly from the Sky website). Is the HDD of these upgradeable in the future?

Secondly, I have a Sony DVD/HDD recorder. Is it easy to link the two up? Is recording from Sky+ to DVD just a matter of playing recordings in real time and hitting record on the Sony? I also believe theres a copy button - whats the function of this?

Lastly, possibly a bit of an odd question, but if theres a power cut, do I loose all my saved timer lists? Just thinking if I'm away for two weeks and have programs set up to record.

I'm sure I'll have more questions when the box arrives! Thanks.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
You should receive a 80gig version.
Yes its upgradable :)

the copy feature is so things that are already recorded can be copied to VHS.....maybe you could use this to copy to your Sony? let me know about that, i would be interested in the result too :)

if there is a power cut you wont loose your recordings, but im not sure about the timer list. i would have to say no though :)

rendez2k

Reaction score
Website
www.rendez.net
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Thomson 160
My Location
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply! How many hours of recordings does an 80gig HDD hold? Do you have a selection or recoding qualities? Also, is it just a standard PC IDE drive (I have a 250gig sat at home!). I'm guessing this voids the warranty!? Is it a simple job to do?

I'm assuming then that the copy button just sets up a playlist of items to copy and not some kind of high-speed dub feature!?

Thanks again.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
40hrs I believe
No
Yes
Yes
Yes

Yes

:)

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° & 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
$ky+ is great, one recommendation though... turn to standby when not in use or moving it about! (HD powers down in standby), and don't let it get too hot (open cabinets are best):)

rendez2k

Reaction score
Website
www.rendez.net
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Thomson 160
My Location
United Kingdom
Thanks again for your help guys - can't wait to get it. Not sure if its worth taking it apart straight away to put my 250gig in - does it need to be formatted in any special way? Also, what sockets are on the box - how many scart connections etc? Just wondering the best way of connecting to DVD recorder.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Haven't seen one of the new ones yet, I'm sure it will have the standard pair of scart sockets, so one to the TV, the other to the DVD.

PS. There are a couple of threads about replacing the drive, it is quite straightforward, but some drives are better than others and they preferably need to be the slower ones.

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° & 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
rendez2k said:
Thanks again for your help guys - can't wait to get it. Not sure if its worth taking it apart straight away to put my 250gig in - does it need to be formatted in any special way? Also, what sockets are on the box - how many scart connections etc? Just wondering the best way of connecting to DVD recorder.

I wouldn't fiddle with it yet!, I tend to store about 10 films and whittle 'em away to my dvd recorder as I was them (for me old man who ain't got $ky)....
No special format, you may find the 80 o.k... it holds a lot of tv
2 scarts, 1 to tv, 1 to recorder, av's too
Hopefully you'll get a pace box, these tend to be more reliable!

rendez2k

Reaction score
Website
www.rendez.net
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Thomson 160
My Location
United Kingdom
OK, got it installed today! Took a few days longer as I opted for the 160 version. Everything is working fine, and all linked up to the DVD recorder which works great. One small issue is that it sometimes looks like theres very faint large blocks and pattens moving in the background - any ideas?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The large blocks are pixellisation, also known, not surprisingly, as blocking!

There are a number of possible causes, not all of them solvable. Firstly the signal may have been compressed too much, the minor channels tend to suffer from this but even the Beeb has been known to wobble occasionally.

Next, there could be a problem with box. Let's hope not in this case! Sometimes unplugging from the mains can effect a solution.

Finally the signal getting to the box night be a bit weak. Check satellite alignment, cable and LNB skew here.

If it's not too objectionable ignore it! :)

rendez2k

Reaction score
Website
www.rendez.net
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Thomson 160
My Location
United Kingdom
Its not the kind of blocking I'd associate with compression - its large moving blocks almost full screen. I'm wondering if its a duff scart cable. I'll try swapping it tomorrow. I’ll look into the other issues if unsuccessful.

On a side note, if I watch a program from the beginning, then decide 20 mins into it I should have recorded it, can I get it from the beginning? Is it just a matter of live rewinding then hitting record?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I think that if you press the select button, and then record, it will save the whole programme. Try it and see, but I'm sure that works.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
them blocks you see moving around :)

try a different scart socket and make sure nothing else thats using a scart is in use.
i get the same problem, if the kids leave the xbox on, when i turn it off they disappear :)

for those that dont know what its like... its kinda like watching itv and having a very dark but faint, BBC1 rolling past in the background!!!
err does that make sense :D

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
RedDevil_UK said:
for those that dont know what its like... its kinda like watching itv and having a very dark but faint, BBC1 rolling past in the background!!!
err does that make sense :D
This sounds like a poor quality scart lead. The ghostly picture is what the TV is tuned into and bleads into the signal carried from the satellite box along the scart lead. Solution: screened individual leads inside the scart cable.

rendez2k

Reaction score
Website
www.rendez.net
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Thomson 160
My Location
United Kingdom
The 'ghost' problem appears to have gone now I've replaced the scart lead.
I've focused my attention on the quality through the DVD Recorder. The menus (such as the TV guide) look 'fuzzy' when viewed through the DVD R and the colours look a little off (although I don't notice it too much on actual programs). Is it better to use a S-VHS cable than scart to connect sky to the DVD R? Obviously when archiving programs to DVD I want the best quality I can get!

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
I'd use s-video + cinch audio to connect to DVD recorder....