new system

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello to all, just stumbled on this site and I must say it looks great.
Basically, I am a newby, exploring the world of non Sky satellite. I have just bought a 2 CI system off Ebay which came with a monoblock LNB (two joined together in one unit) and was wondering, firstly I guess I'm going to need an 80cm dish and secondly will this LNB thingy be able to pick up Astra 19 and Hotbird 13 east with one dish alignment? (the receiver has a discq thingie). Sorry about my ignorance but it is not a subject that many people I know can help me on.
many thanks.:confused

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Bratwurzt and welcome.

The monobloc LNBs sold in the UK are normally ideal for those two birds as they have 6 degrees separation.

Most of them are set up on the 13E position with the Astra 19.2 being the secondary.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Welcome Bratwurzt

You dont say where you are located (I assume its the UK)

The monoblock system has a set of clamps for adjustments in two planes. Hotbird is actually higher in the sky than Astra and so the corresponding LNB gets better signal is its adjusted slightly lower on the boom arm

If you are thinking of setting it up yourself take all sensible precautions with the equipment, especially ladders and power tools. If it looks too daunting then make sure you ring around and get firm callout charges and approximate costs for the work. Any reputable form will tell you this over the phone.
Some companies are not keen on installing consumer sourced equipment though.

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks mate, I'm in Lincolnshire. Installing it myself would be way beyond me so I shall be seeking someone to do it for me, I imagine it will cost an arm and a leg but anything beats my current £48 pm sky subscription I suppose.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The one thing i would add Bratwurzt, if you are intending for the system to replace Sky programming, you may end up sorely disappointed, not much of the viewing is long, or even short term guaranteed.

bratwurzt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
What I'm mainly after is the free foreign channels which I sorely missed when converting to digital (I speak a little German). Admittedly, I am also interested in what adult subscritions are available, hence the change in receiver.

baztheman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Washington Tyne & Wear
Hi Bratwurzt m8
Im in the same boat here m8 after dropping my d2mac decoder in the bin about 4 years ago .
(you will find a few of the regulars on here a little on the negitive side at the moment) as 1 west one of the hottest sats up there has just changed its key (i think it has lasted 3 years or so) so it looks like your joining us just as we have lost a seriously good sat and a lot of con*x cams will not be used till the code 20 is cracked (if ever).
But dont be too dishearted as there is still a few good channels on 5 east and 30 west and we have a ace team of crackers who always keep the viewing good for us all!!!! (cheers guys!!!)

Anyway enjoy ya viewing...baz :cool:

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Negative, moi Baz? :D

PS. We've only had Conax for a few months, it was available as a commercial copied card prior to that, but not as a hobby file, the reason that we may not regain it is that it isn't hacked, just some of the keys were known..

baztheman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Washington Tyne & Wear
Yea rolfW m8 maybe its just my outlook on just getting 1 west for 2 days and then loosing it just as quick LOL well i did read up on a few forums about the history of con*ex ...and its a shame its had to change......but if your not paying for it and you manage to get it due to someones hard work and its for free,i suppose you cant complain when its taken away from ya .....but we are a hardened breed....
and i heard it somwhere if its encrypted it can be cracked .... its just a matter of time or money (or inside info)....cheers...... baz