New to Satellite

lewis

Reaction score
I have never used Satellite before. I'm interested in getting free european channels and I'm not really interested in SKY. What equipment do I need and can I install it myself, I am fairly handy and understand IT etc. If anyone has any tips I'd be very grateful. Thanks. Lewis. Based in London

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That really is a "How long is a piece of string" question Lewis, and there are several previous threads in this section asking for similar information.

Do you mean that you want to receive the free European channels, or the encrypted European channels free?

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
Main parts you will need for a basic set up:
Satellite dish (the bigger the better in my opinion, max legal size without planning consent is 90cm)
MultiSat receiver (Preferably one with CI slots on it, this will allow you to open it up a bit)
Universal LNB, you can pick up some cheap 0.6dB minimum though preferably 0.3dB.
Obviously cables, connectors, and some bracket for the dish.

If you wanna get a bit more technical you could opt for:
Motor mount for the dish (Saves on manually aligning it)
CAM (Some generic cam like the XCam, depending on what you wanna watch)
Blank Programmable cards (to add channel keys on to, some cams dont need this)
Card programmer (to put codes on to the cards)

My main setup is:
ISS 85cm Dish from http://www.brymar.co.uk/
Moteck SG2100 Motor from http://www.turbosat.com/
Golden Interstar universal LNB which I got from ebay
Technomate 5500CI Plus receiver which I got from ebay

I dont have any CAMs, did have but now I dont.

Really its a case of doing your research to what equipment is the best to buy, but my setup seems to work well and the receiver gets a good write up with most people. Obviously most people will say that the equipment they have is the best, but I went for the more cheap route than the best most expensive stuff.

lewis

Reaction score
rolfw said:
That really is a "How long is a piece of string" question Lewis, and there are several previous threads in this section asking for similar information.

Do you mean that you want to receive the free European channels, or the encrypted European channels free?
I meant the free european channels I think, what i'm after particularly is austrian ones, i think TW1 is the channel, one where they have cameras on the tops of mountains and play twee music. Also for the standard austrian channels where they broadcast ski races. I'll try and find out which satellite I need though...

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
lewis said:
i think TW1 is the channel
TW1 is free to air on Astra 1H at 19.2E.

So for that you're gonna want the basic setup i listed, basically a receiver and a dish. If you are only interested in the free stuff it might be nice to opt for say the new technomate 3000D receiver since it is pretty cheap.
http://www.spectrum-skytv.co.uk/index.php?option=Prod_detail&product_id=70675

I'ld check with some others first but i think that would do the job.

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
Hi Lewis,

The Austrian mountain camera program "Alpenview" is shown on 3sat (Astra 1 19 degrees East) between 7 and 8am UK time. It's one of my favourites. If you are short of cash then an old sky analogue system with a 60cm dish will receive it (and the other Austrian channels). You can pick one up for next to nothing. But it's well worth investing in a digital system because it gives you many more channels to choose from.

Phil.