New to sky and tv systems, can you help??????

adaml9182

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME....SORRY
My Location
essex
Hello everyone, this is my first post on a forum so hear it goes.

I’m currently renovating my new house and would like some advice from some people that know what they are talking about.

My house is a large 5 bed, 3 story house, I have run a cat5e network in and now wish to sort the TV/freesat/dab situation out.

The install I wish to do is as follows, I want 2 sat, 1 TV and 1 DAB/FM in 7 places (lounge dining room and 5 bedrooms)

Short of doing it the old fashion way and in theory running 4 cables to each place (28 cables in total) I have heard of a multi-switch system……… combining the above signals and sending them down one cable to a triplexing or duplexing face plate, which separates the signals into the correct sockets………….tell me if I’m wrong please.

This would make my life a lot easier, 7 cables instead of 28.

I’ve had a look for the gear and I think I have it sorted but just want advice as to whether I’m correct (it’s all off eBay as that’s where I was looking at the time)

1x
Triax TMP 5x8 Mains Multiswitch (or one i can find on ebay, but mainly a 5 input multiswitch)
1x
TRIAX Digi 343 Wideband Freeview Digital Aerial
1x
Alpha FAB Combined Aerial FM DAB F connector 22402 PARAGON
1x TV / FM / DAB / MASTHEAD COMBINER (PGN 12511)
1x Quad LNB and dish
7x QUADPLEXED SKY SATELLITE TV DAB AERIAL WALL SOCKET

All wired with RG6 cable and f-type connectors

If you have any advice on this it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Adam

Admin edit - links unparsed in line with forum rules.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Coax won't replace CAT5, unless you are using Stacker / Destackers, you need two satellite cables to each outlet, UHF and VHF can be diplexed with a satellite feed.

So, minimum of 2 x RG6 and 1 CAT5 to each outlet.

You'll need a 5 in 16 out multiswitch and a Quattro LNB on the dish. Best to go for separate VHF and DAB antennae if you want to combine using the masthead combiner.

Recommended outlet _http://www.satelliteandaerialsupplies.com/product/?s=global-wp-d-mwsp-outlet-2-gang-tvradiosat1and2phoneblank

Telephone module can be replaced with RJ45 module, or retained with the addition of data module.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You'll also need a 5x16 multiswitch rather than a 5x8 which then sufficient to feed 8 rooms.

Be careful with the term RG6 as this is only a specification for the size and impedance of the cable. There are some pretty ropey RG6s out there. Generally the standard to aim for is PF100 or WF100 cable (there are others) and these can be identified by the fact that they have a coper core and the outer shielding consists of a copper sheath and copper braid. Cheaper cables have an aluminium sheath and from there it just goes downhil in quality!

adaml9182

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
essex
Hi thanks for your input guys.

Just a quick note the cat5e network will be totally separate from the TV/sat stuff so don’t count that, as i have that under control and installed.

As for the aerials, should i use separate FM, DAB and digital aerial into a mast head, and then into the 5th input on the multiswitch? (1,2,3,4 being from the LNB?) If this is correct do i need to run 1 or 2 cables to each outlet???

And thanks for the link to the face plate that will make things look a lot neater in some places

Adam

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
First check to see if you need a masthead, post switchover digital signals are much improved, if in doubt, get a professional in. Reference the masthead combiner, if it's a triplexer, then separate aerials need to be used.

Two cables to all outlets or those which require recording facilities on satellite.

adaml9182

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
essex
I think i know what your getting at now, 3 separate areials (fm,dab,digital tv) in to a combiner, into input 5 quad LNB into inputs 1,2,3 and 4.

2 cables to each outlet requiring recording, 1 cable to those not recording, and this is the reasoning behind the 16 way multiswitch??

As for asking a "professional" I'm having trouble finding someone locally that has a knowledge of multiswitches

Thanks again

Adam

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You'll need a Quattro LNB for the Triax multiswitch range, quad is no use. The quattro has four different feeds, Horizontal low, Horizontal high, Vertical Low and Vertical high, the Multiswitch is colour coded as are the majority of Quattro LNBs, although the Inverto Black Ultra isn't and it's one of the best.

Yes, correct with the recording and non-recording outlets.

Must be some good guys in Essex, which part of Essex are you?

griff21

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None as yet
My Location
Nottingham
I'm just investigating such an installation for a four bedroomed house. I've used PF100 cable (from TLC-Direct), as recommended in this thread. I'm carrying out research into two areas at the moment and wonder if anyone can help:
Will Sky accept such an installation for 'Multiroom' (I'm installing telephone sockets as well).
How do I find out the satellites visible from Nottingham? I've tried Googling but without any luck.

Thanks

David​

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
griff21 said:
How do I find out the satellites visible from Nottingham? I've tried Googling but without any luck.

Try _www.dishpointer.com. Enter the location, it will place you on a Google Earth map. Under the map you'll find a list of available satellites and dish sizes.