New to the whole Satellite world

B

biggles

My wife and I recently returned from visiting friends who happened to have sky or a set thereof. Apparently they have over a 1000 channels and it has something to do with a revolving dish. I was so intrigued by the vast range of channels and wanted to know where does one start to get a set up like this. I have spoken to the likes on ITV Digital and Sky Digital and they haven’t been able to help thus far. Where would I go to find a revolving dish and to get myself set up with the capabilities of viewing loads and loads of channels?

Many thanks to those who took the time to read.

Biggles

PRINCE

Reaction score
My Location
uh::
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-Nov-01 AT 05:20 PM (GMT)]Hi,

You can get the "revolving dish"(Motorised dish) from independent dealer in What Satellite magazine.However in addition to the dish, you need a suitable satellite receiver and Cams, a programmer, and blank cards, which you need to programme with files available on the net before you can be able to receive those channels.Ideally you want to speak to your local dealer about your requirement,he would advise you on what is sutable for your requirement, you can then seek independent advice from the forum.There is also a link to a Satellite dealer on the home page of the forum. Best of luck.

Regards

Prince

ckrys1

Reaction score
My Location
pj::
I would just add that you don`t actuall need cams, programmer, cards or internet files,as there are about 500 free to air channels for which you only need the dish and receiver

Ckrys1

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Depending on where you live, how well you get on with your neighbours, if they are blind, how much spare cash you have to spend etc etc

you could end up getting those 1000+ channels with something quite nice, at approximately £1 per channel

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Perhaps it is just me ckrys1 but i had lots of free to air tv channels when i first started out and i thought most of them where complete pants. And additional channels i have now that are not free to air :) i can honestly say are much much better. Still you can only watch so much of arabic soaps in arabic.. :)

ckrys1

Reaction score
My Location
pj::
Not into Arabic soaps, or even British ones!
My passion is football- the FTA channels plus feeders allow me to fall out with my wife regularly as I watch the 14th live game of the weekend.
As an example, last weekend I watched 1 English, 1 German, 1 Italian, 1 Argentinian and 2 Portuguese games (as well as the Sky/ITV digital offerings), all totally free. Not everyone`s cup of tea, I know, but for me, fantastic.

Ckrys1

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
For me its the lesser sports

feeds of motorycling (Moteurs on AB also has many archive programmes)

Argentinian amateur car racing on c band

The ladies treacle wrestling from Norway

music

TMF - free on 16 East

and news feeds from anywhere

I was once told never make your hobby your job, its pants !

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
"I was once told never make your hobby your job, its pants !"

Totally agree CH, if you are lucky enough to have a hobby that can make money, or a job that is interesting enough to enjoy as a hobby, all the better.

Rolf

Now, if I could just find someone prepared to pay me for drinking..........................