New user request help with purchases

Messages
7
Likes
0
My Location
Lancashire
#1
Am buying new satellite motorized system.I Have decided on 120cm dish,which will be wall mounted?
My supplier is offering two systems. the fortec Star antenna, with a 5100 Ultra satellite receiver or the Technomate 5500 CI Super USALS compatible, LNB 0.3dB ,Dragon CAMS .
Like everyone else I want the best out of my money £450 - £540.00.but Im clueless??? can anyone offer expert advise .I'L listen to anything you have to say .Thanks in anticipation.
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,671
Likes
1,279
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#2
With the 1.2m dish, you will require a 36v motor, a DiseqC motor would not be advisable. Which motor does the dealer recommend.
 
Messages
7
Likes
0
My Location
Lancashire
#3
I asked the question,this is the answer I recieved ...
it would be a diseqc motor at 1.2, no need for any extra wiring, however
any size above 1.2 (1.5 etc) would need a 36v motor and a vbox to convert
the signals.
what do you think???
rgds
rolfw said:
With the 1.2m dish, you will require a 36v motor, a DiseqC motor would not be advisable. Which motor does the dealer recommend.
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,671
Likes
1,279
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#4
I would not recomend installing a 1.2m dish on a DiseqC motor, unless the location is very well sheltered and some of the higher quality and heavier dishes I advise for 36v motor use only, regardless of the location.
 
Messages
7
Likes
0
My Location
Lancashire
#5
Cheers for that, Iv'e just sent him an e-mail stating that I wouldn't purchase without the larger 36v motor,so I'll have to wait and see what he say's.

Out of the two systems on offer which would you recomend?
I am being told .....
The Technomate 5500CI Super receiver has 9000
channel capacity and also includes a very fast channel change. Wheras
the Fortec Star 5100 Plus Ultra only has a 5000 channel capacity, slower
channel change and customers comments are the picture quality is not as
good as the technomate is does however has a softcam built in based on the
dragon cam
Your advise is really appreciated.
rolfw said:
I would not recomend installing a 1.2m dish on a DiseqC motor, unless the location is very well sheltered and some of the higher quality and heavier dishes I advise for 36v motor use only, regardless of the location.
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,671
Likes
1,279
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#6
I have used the Technomate receiver, the one I used had the integrated 36v positioner so would be ideal for the larger dish installation. Haven't had any experience of the Fortec star at all, but have heard good reports.

If you are comfortable with computers, FTP and operating on a network, then you may also consider the Dreambox, you would need a V-Box for the 36v motor, but it has the benefit of not requiring CAMs or cards.

You do need to be prepared for a bit of reading up though for that option. :)
 
Messages
7
Likes
0
My Location
Lancashire
#7
what is a softcam? and why am I being told by my supplier that I need a v-box just because I requested a 36v motor for my 120cm dish? is he trying to get more money out of me?'O'-red
Please help.
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,671
Likes
1,279
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#8
A softcam is an internal software CAM, it emulates a hardware CAM and in most cases will replace also the smartcard.

If you recxeiver doen't have an integrated postioner (ip), then you need a V-Box to interface with the 36v motor.

If you use a Technomate 5500ip model, then you don't need the V-Box, trouble is that some of the best receivers from a decrypting standpoint, do not have integrated positioners, the Dreambox for instance.

You have to weigh up the costs.

You may pay a small amount more for a V-Box, but it gives you a wider choice of receivers and possible savings due to not having to buy a CAM, cards and programmer.

My ideal system at the moment would probably be a Dreambox S7000 with hard drive, Channel Master 120cm dish, C120 Invacom LNB, heavy duty 36v motor and V-Box to interface.
 
Messages
7
Likes
0
My Location
Lancashire
#9
Rolfw

I have to thank you for your patience and advise.
I'm starting to drown in the depth's of technical info .The more I want to know,the more technical the info gets:) .I thought buying a computer was bad enough....:rolleyes:

If I ask my supplier for a Technomate 5500ci super reciever model ,with a 120cm dish ,with 36v motor and get it for less than £550.00 would I be getting a good deal?
cheers....
rolfw said:
A softcam is an internal software CAM, it emulates a hardware CAM and in most cases will replace also the smartcard.

If you recxeiver doen't have an integrated postioner (ip), then you need a V-Box to interface with the 36v motor.

If you use a Technomate 5500ip model, then you don't need the V-Box, trouble is that some of the best receivers from a decrypting standpoint, do not have integrated positioners, the Dreambox for instance.

You have to weigh up the costs.

You may pay a small amount more for a V-Box, but it gives you a wider choice of receivers and possible savings due to not having to buy a CAM, cards and programmer.

My ideal system at the moment would probably be a Dreambox S7000 with hard drive, Channel Master 120cm dish, C120 Invacom LNB, heavy duty 36v motor and V-Box to interface.
 
Messages
7
Likes
0
My Location
Lancashire
#10
I have just rec an e-mail from my supplier in reply to my question (below)
The technomate 5500CI Super does not contain a 36v motor however they do
make a CIP model but this only has 5000 channels at the moment, I don't
think they have made a CIP Super as yet although I will double check for
you.

Also I don't think you would have a problem with a diseqc motor on a 1.2 m
dish however that is the maximum size recoemended for this type of motor.
All I'm askin for is a good reciever with as many channels as poss, a 120cm dish and Iv'e requested 36v motor, Iv'e got £550.00 to spend..It can't be that hard ..can it ?
WHAT IS a CIP Model ?
oggy said:
Rolfw

I have to thank you for your patience and advise.
I'm starting to drown in the depth's of technical info .The more I want to know,the more technical the info gets:) .I thought buying a computer was bad enough....:rolleyes:

If I ask my supplier for a Technomate 5500ci super reciever model ,with a 120cm dish ,with 36v motor and get it for less than £550.00 would I be getting a good deal?
cheers....
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,671
Likes
1,279
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#11

sat novice

Regular Member
Messages
61
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500 Super,SG2100,Raven 90 cm,42east to 30west,36" of CRT,Freeview from Crystal Palace,6.1 surround,Custom PC,Wireless network.
My Location
Birth Place of Radio
#12
Hi oggy
Any technomate receiver with "IP" in the model No description,Indicates that it has an intergrated posistioner within the stb for connecting a 36v motor.

Hope this helps you mate.
 

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Messages
5,145
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
#13
If you're set on a 1.2m dish, then don't let anyone talk you into a diseqc motor. Hold out for your 36v motor. Don't forget that by adding the VBOX, you can then have any bloomin receiver you want!
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,671
Likes
1,279
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#14
Might be worth looking at something second hand for the dish http://67.43.4.157/showthread.php?t=92322 This is a channel master 1,2m, 18" actuator, invacom C120 LNB and matched Channel Master feedhorn, 3" ground/wall mount. Would then give you £400 for receiver and V-Box.
 

gandalfthegrey

Specialist Contributor
Messages
391
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD (clone)
Gibertini 85cm dish
4 way Diseqc switch........
linksys access point connected to Dreambox..
My Location
dublin,ireland
#15
Hi Bgonastick;
I too am joining the satellite revoloution and have been advised that the following is a good starter system: I have been told that the software and keys are easy to find and download..can you please advise
Openbox AF-8100CI
Sm3D12 diseqc 1,2/1,1/1,0 motor
MTI single universal LNB
Gibertini 85cm dish
 
Messages
3
Likes
0
My Location
County Waterford
#16
gandalfthegrey said:
Hi Bgonastick;
I too am joining the satellite revoloution and have been advised that the following is a good starter system: I have been told that the software and keys are easy to find and download..can you please advise
Openbox AF-8100CI
Sm3D12 diseqc 1,2/1,1/1,0 motor
MTI single universal LNB


Gibertini 85cm dish
Hi there,

I to am gettin gon to the revoloution of Sat. Just tagging alsong to see what would be recomended for a good startup package.

Thanks
 
Messages
7
Likes
0
My Location
Lancashire
#17
rolfw said:
Might be worth looking at something second hand for the dish http://67.43.4.157/showthread.php?t=92322 This is a channel master 1,2m, 18" actuator, invacom C120 LNB and matched Channel Master feedhorn, 3" ground/wall mount. Would then give you £400 for receiver and V-Box.
Sorry , for delayed reply. i have been waiting for my supplier, I gave him instructions i.e. 36v motor 120cm dish v-box. he came back with the folowing suggestion
18” Actuator £36.88

120cm Dish including Polar Mount is £265

The DreamBox is around the £300 mark

Installation based on the complexity of the Job could be from £150 to £300.
what do yo think ?
 
Top