Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM5400CI+ TM1500CI.Dreambox 500S HD
80CM Motorized dish
90CM Fixed dish,HotBird 13 & 28E
Sly dish for freeview
My Location
Portsmouth,Hampshire
Ok hello to one and all.Ok we have all had to start some where so as im new to this im after some advice please.I have been looking at the TechnomateTMs1500CI + with a dual LNB for Astra & Hotbird.These are advertised on a well known auction site and are already patched with a selection of 5 built in cams.Can some please put in laymans terms about Cams and patching and is this a good starter unit.
Thanks in advance

ian

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, it is a reasonable starter system. But a motorised system would be better. The cost should only be £10 to £20 ish more. You should go for the TM5400CI+ instead though, as the TM1500CI is past its sell-by date now. The receivers are very similar but has been updated a little to give a USB port and more channel capacity.

Also try one of the forum Advertisers, one of them does a complete system

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi g60edition,
Welcome to the forum.
The Tecnomate 1500 is quite a good receiver, for the price, but is a little old now and there are some newer receivers, like the Q Box and Eagle, both Linux receivers.
There are a lot of choices for new receivers, each with different plus points, depending on price and requirements.
I would advise you look into getting a motorized dish as things change quickly in this hobby and we know we will soon lose Premiere 19E and TPS 13E, as they are upgrading their encryption.
Patching is simply loading unofficial software onto your receiver, which is needed to view certain channels.
The Technomate 1500 requires a null modem cable connected to your PC and receiver to carry out updates.
Newer receivers use a USB cable or can even use USB memory sticks.
Have a read around the forum and feel free to post any questions you might have.

g60edition

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80CM Motorized dish
Sly dish for freeview
My Location
Portsmouth,Hampshire
Thank you for your advise.So 19e 13e get there encryption upgaded will that render my equipment redundant?If that is the case and a motorized dish is not an option are my options dried up to use the 19e and 13 e.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
No, you just swing your dish round to whichever channels are available. A motorized dish just allows more options, as a simple press of the button and your dish moves to the required satellite.
We have had a lot of viewing options for quite some time:
Premiere 19E
TPS and Polsat 13E
Digi TV 1W
and now with the Diablo 2.3 cam you can get Canal Digital 1W.
In this hobby you need to be flexible unless you want to subscribe to a package like DigitAlb, on 16E, which is possible with the receiver you describe, but we would need to know the size of your dish to provide more information.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
There are still quite a few free to air channels around if you can be flexible.
There are 3 or 4 movies channels on 26E for example.

I have a DigitAlb card, and that with all the FTA channels, I never have the need for the patch.

g60edition

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80CM Motorized dish
Sly dish for freeview
My Location
Portsmouth,Hampshire
Many thanks to you both.things are a little clearer now(pardon the pun)After now looking at the motorized system the motors are not as big as I was thinking so a motor will be invested in.Like any think there is always the best money can buy but being new to this is there any cables and connectors I should keep clear of or is there a general run of the mill cable?Sorry for so many questions I just would like to get it right.
Ian

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You can buy the low quality sat cable from B&Q and the likes, but a better quality cable to use is wf100 or wc100, at about 50p/metre or about £30 for a 100m reel.

Yes the Disqec motors are quite small, and not too difficult to fit either, once you understand what it is supposed to do.

tomthebomb1968

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo 250gig/ DreamElite BH 1.3.2 Multiboot

Dreambox 500s-(clone) / DM-600

Relook 400s 160 Gig-/SifTeam 1.93 e enigma

Foretec 90cm Dish with Nikkai Diseqc Motor- 2 sky+ receivers fixed 28.2 east.
My Location
Newtownabbey, near Belfast, Northern Ireland
g60edition said:
Many thanks to you both.things are a little clearer now(pardon the pun)After now looking at the motorized system the motors are not as big as I was thinking so a motor will be invested in.Like any think there is always the best money can buy but being new to this is there any cables and connectors I should keep clear of or is there a general run of the mill cable?Sorry for so many questions I just would like to get it right.
Ian

Take the plunge m8, everything you need to know is on this site and if your stumped the guys on here have the knowledge to help. I was told about the the advantages of owning a Dreambox in l8 December, spent time on here reading for most of January, bought my box, second hand(ended up with a clone, but its still working) got a 90 cm dish complete with lnb for £20 and a motor for £37 in Maplin, set it up in February and have not looked back. Not the best kit but I didnt wanna spend too much just in case it wasnt for me. It was the best money I have spent for a long time.

g60edition

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80CM Motorized dish
Sly dish for freeview
My Location
Portsmouth,Hampshire
Well im back and the summer holidays are out the way so I treated myself to a bit of kit to get started.I just recieved my sat kit.Went for a TM 5400 ci + usb with a Diseqc 1.2 motor,universal low noise Lnb and to finnish off an 80cm dish.I will attempt to install over the weekend and let you know how I get on.If there is anything I should watch out for comments greatly received.If there is any one in the Portsmouth area who would like to gain some beer tokens and are free Satuday afternoon they would be welcome. Tea/coffee and biscuits(your choice) will be provided..!