newbie equiptment questions

M

mikeybris

Hey all,

My name is Mikey and I am located in Brisbane, Australia. I am lookng into getting some equiptment to recieve signals (hopefully some from the US and Europe although i'm not sure about the signal strengh)

The decoder box I am interested in is the Benjamin DB-6600 does anyone have any info or opinions about this box? Some details are here but they are a bit scarce:

http://www.telsat.com/db6600ci.htm

would It work with an 8.5 feet or 2.5m mesh ant some info of the one that I had in mind is here:

http://www.telsat.com/mesh.htm#SX85

if it would not work can anyone suggest a better setup?

If it would what about a positioner for this setup? can anyone recommend something that would work well?

Thanx in advance all.

Mikey.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can't comment or advise on the receiver or dish Mikey, as I have little experience on large dish setups, there are several members on the forum who do though.

With regard to the satellites which will be viewable from your location, I would try doing some investigation on www.lyngsat.com

I'm pretty sure that you will not be able to receive anything that is beamed at Europe, although i'm sure that there will be content there of European origin.

NB. I've moved this to Multi Satelite systems Mikey, it will get a better response there.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Benjamin is not well known in this country but has a good following in the Middle East, they are renowned for reliability.

As for the dish, its all down to what you a want to watch, and your climate

If you are mainly into Ku band TV then maybe a solid dish will work better for you.

If you live in a windy area then a mesh will work better unless you can build a substantial base for the dish

A positioner has to function with the motor used and the size of dish, the conditions of weather do have a say in what is best.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Do you have an idea of the type of signals that you would like to recieve ?

US channels like CNBC and Discovery BBC world etc are recievable from satellites in your location.

If you can identify specific channels we try to help and advise on the choice of dish and setup etc.

Regards

Old Satellite