Newbie - help me please.

A

acchillo

Just bought a place with a satellite dish installed outside. However, since the previous owner took his decoder with him, I do not know what system i have
I also need to understand what receiver I should buy (I am not interested in Sky, but would like to get some free channel and possibly Italian, French and Spanish main channels

I know this is a super stupid question, given the level of sophistication of the other postings, but I suspect it is a very simple one for some kind soul. Any ideas on any web pointers on Satellite tech for dummies would be highly appreciated

Acchillo
acchillo@hotmail.com

G

gauros

acchillo said:
Just bought a place with a satellite dish installed outside. However, since the previous owner took his decoder with him, I do not know what system i have
I also need to understand what receiver I should buy (I am not interested in Sky, but would like to get some free channel and possibly Italian, French and Spanish main channels

I know this is a super stupid question, given the level of sophistication of the other postings, but I suspect it is a very simple one for some kind soul. Any ideas on any web pointers on Satellite tech for dummies would be highly appreciated

Acchillo
acchillo@hotmail.com
Hello mate, in here you can ask any questions you want and will try to answer all of them.

You can buy any digital receiver and a Dragon cam and it will be perfect or you can buy a dream Box and you dont need a cam.

This is a good website for receivers and not only
http://www.satelliteonline.net/

Gauros

guiri

guiri

My Location
Manchester, UK
Does it look like the dish has a motor of some kind on it? If not, roughly what direction is it facing eg. same as sky dishes in the street? Also, any idea what size is the dish - again compared to a little sky minidish?

A movable dish is better - italia is on hotbird at 13 degrees east, spanish is on astra1 at 19 degrees east.

Uh yes, and whereabouts are you?

A

acchillo

Thanks for the answer.

it is a fixed perfectly circular white dish, with a diameter of about 50cm, facing South East (I am not sure about the degrees). I saw pic

I live in North London.

I guess that a CAM is somthing I can use to decode several standard, provided I have the right access code (which I believe is stored on a Smartcard that will go into the CAM slot).

guiri said:
Does it look like the dish has a motor of some kind on it? If not, roughly what direction is it facing eg. same as sky dishes in the street? Also, any idea what size is the dish - again compared to a little sky minidish?

A movable dish is better - italia is on hotbird at 13 degrees east, spanish is on astra1 at 19 degrees east.

Uh yes, and whereabouts are you?

guiri

guiri

My Location
Manchester, UK
could be on astra 1 or 2? your best bet is to borrow a digital receiver and have a play - if you can get a sky box, you could test whether it is on astra2 (at 28 degrees)