newbie help needed!

ninjagordy

Reaction score
hi guys.....just bought another skystar 2, had it before and was setup using europe online. the dish is still there and is stillpointing this way....the signal was excellent but i now need all the advice possible....i was considering getting a motorised dish setup. i live in ayr in scotland and the current angle of the dish is almost 90 deg from the wall on the rear of my house so i should be able to get plenty of left to right movement for the dish.

can you tell me what i will need eg. dish positioner etc and how to set it up properly as i have just read all this in the forums so i am clueless really.

cheers

gordy! (p.s. great forum! wish i had found it last time i had my skystar2 as i would be well clued up by now!):)

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
The cold and foggy Yorkshire coast..
Hello and welcome to the forum !
You need to get yourself a motor (check E-bay) you can pick cheap ones up for around £70 and these are good for dishes up to about 1.2M
You will only need to get the diseqc plugin and a motor, no positioner or other bits required !!
I have had one for about 6 months but have not got round to sticking it up yet !!
If you check previous postings you should find plenty of info on setting it up.
Another thing to check is the beams for the satellites you wish to receive, ensure you get the correct size dish to cope with the signals from where you live, I would imagine a 1.2 will get you a good signal on 1 west and even hispisat ?
Good luck...

ninjagordy

Reaction score
Rod Hulls Aerial said:
Hello and welcome to the forum !
You need to get yourself a motor (check E-bay) you can pick cheap ones up for around £70 and these are good for dishes up to about 1.2M
You will only need to get the diseqc plugin and a motor, no positioner or other bits required !!
I have had one for about 6 months but have not got round to sticking it up yet !!
If you check previous postings you should find plenty of info on setting it up.
Another thing to check is the beams for the satellites you wish to receive, ensure you get the correct size dish to cope with the signals from where you live, I would imagine a 1.2 will get you a good signal on 1 west and even hispisat ?
Good luck...

hi mate....thanks for the reply.......ive been looking at the "tutorials" and it seems a tricky one to set up with a motorised dish etc......

can you advise me on where the cheapest place to get a 1.2m dish/lnb and motor would be motor will the skystar2 move the dish via the correct software.

cheers again

gordy!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
If you're going for a 1.2M dish, you would be well advised to get a 36V motor and a VBOX to position it.

davie

Reaction score
I don't know a lot about sat dish sizes etc but I get 90% plus signal on hispasat with an old sky analogue 80 cm dish and I'm in Orkney which is in the north of Scotland so I recon if you set your dish accuratety then maybe you won't need to spend a lot of money on a huge dish.

ninjagordy

Reaction score
davie said:
I don't know a lot about sat dish sizes etc but I get 90% plus signal on hispasat with an old sky analogue 80 cm dish and I'm in Orkney which is in the north of Scotland so I recon if you set your dish accuratety then maybe you won't need to spend a lot of money on a huge dish.
cheers matey!......

i just bought an 80cm dish as it was at a good price, i bought a 0.3 bigsat lnb also with an h to h motor (DiSeqc 1.2) motor

i will no doubt be needing set up advice!

cheers

gordy!:)