Newbie help required

montaigne

Reaction score
We have a house in France, The previous owner (French) left the dish and cables. The dish appears to be pointing s/sse, can anybody guess what it's pointing at?

What I'd like to do is be able to recieve BBC radio from a satellite when we're in France. What would we need?

Thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Could be 19E, 13E or possibly even 5W, but you could take a second hand digibox over with you and turn the dish to 28.2 E to get all of the BBC channels Radio and TV.

montaigne

Reaction score
Being a complete newbie, if North is 0 degrees what direction is 28.2E?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ah, in satellite terms, everything is based on South (at least in the Northern Hemisphere) 28,2 East refers to East of the Greenwhich meridian at 0 degrees.

So depending on where you are in France, you subtract however many drgrees east your longitude is from 28.2 E and that will give you the compass bearing, you will also need to acount for magnetic variation.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
In the sat world (northern hemishpere) everything is 'upside down', as the sats are over the equator.

If you are on zero longitude (the meridian passing the old Royal Astronomical Observatory in Greenwich, England, is the one chosen as zero longitude) then due south is 0 degrees. 28.2 degrees E would be 28.2 degrees 'east' of due south. In other words, a bit further towards the east than where it's pointing now (and a tad lower in the sky).

STICK

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
rolfw said:
Ah, in satellite terms, everything is based on South (at least in the Northern Hemisphere) 28,2 East refers to East of the Greenwhich meridian at 0 degrees.

So depending on where you are in France, you subtract however many drgrees east your longitude is from 28.2 E and that will give you the compass bearing, you will also need to acount for magnetic variation.

LOL, you obviously type faster than me!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Where in France are you?

If the SE then to ensure reliable reception of the BBC and ITV channels the dish might need to be larger than the small ones sometimes used. It should be large enough to get the "taste" though.

Also, if it was pointing at 5W then you might have to change the LNB to a universal type.

PaulR