Newbie help, What receiver ?

wildthing

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No Sat., Win XP Pro
My Location
Wales
Hi Group,

I'm new to the digital scene and was looking at purchasing a digital motorized receiver. I'm looking for a good one, that will decrypt most formats, or, should I purchase a seperate decoder(s) ?. I'm keen to decode channels like TV1000, European film channels, Sky and so on. But compatibility support is a key feature. And being able to decode the main formats...

Does anyone know the best system, and dish size ?. I'm located in South Wales.

Any help would be great,

Regards,
W

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
wildthing said:
I'm looking for a good one, that will decrypt most formats, or, should I purchase a seperate decoder(s) ?. I'm keen to decode channels like TV1000, European film channels, Sky and so on.

:-Welcome1

Doesn't exist - you cannot purchase any receiver that will guarantee to do the above.

If you want S*y you will have to pay S*y.

If spent some time reading the different forums you will get an idea of what is achievable.

No guarantees with this hobby.

wildthing

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No Sat., Win XP Pro
My Location
Wales
gameboy said:
:-Welcome1

Doesn't exist - you cannot purchase any receiver that will guarantee to do the above.

If you want S*y you will have to pay S*y.

If spent some time reading the different forums you will get an idea of what is achievable.

No guarantees with this hobby.

So, say for example there are a few different decoding formats for the different european channels, would I have to purchase a seperate decoder for each format (then subscription), or, do some receivers come with built in decoders to cover some of the formats...

Also, would the receiver decode sky (with a valid subscription card).

Thanks for the info though, it's appreciated

Mick21367

Mick21367
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
A cheap 'n' nasty Silvercrest and an old (but good) TM1000D. 28, 19, 16 and 30W
My Location
Scottish Borders
Some receivers (Technomate springs to mind) have Multi-Krypt slots, but I don't think anything can cover all the main encryptions, let alone the rarer ones. There is a CAM which can emulate the encryption used by S*y, but it has two drawbacks - I can't remember the name, and you need to have a valid Digibox (Cards are matched to boxes in the world of Uncle Rupe, and you need to enter the serial no of the box).
On the plus side, it doesn't have to be a new box, and some of the early ones are fast becoming 'skip technology'.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
wildthing said:
So, say for example there are a few different decoding formats for the different european channels, would I have to purchase a seperate decoder for each format (then subscription), or, do some receivers come with built in decoders to cover some of the formats...

Also, would the receiver decode sky (with a valid subscription card).

Thanks for the info though, it's appreciated

The Dreambox series of receivers are basically computers with tuners attached. They can be programmed to emulate CAMs and cards and have been able to decode several different pay TV services in the past.
They can also be used with a current active S*y card.

You will find a complete section on them in the Forums - well worth investigating.