Newbie Help

A

Aoi_Kagee

Hey everyone.

I am in dire need of a answer to this question - Is it at ALL possible to recieve Japanese Television on my TV screen through any means neccesary. I am a big fan of Japanese Wrestling and the J-League and I was hoping if hypothetically I had money to spend (which I may well have soon) how I would go about this and if I could actually do it.

Thanks a lot for reading

Aoi

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 25-Jun-02 AT 07:29 AM (GMT)]what is your current location ? and budget?

Currently you can recieve in most parts of Europe the NHK package on Satellite PAS 10 at 68.5 East on transponder 3730 horizontal 26470 3/4
digital MPEG

Check the link below for further information
http://www.lyngsat.com/pas10.shtml

Also additional you can recieve the NHK package also on Satellite PAS 9 58.0 west on transponder 4040 H 26470 3/4 digital MPEG

If you check the link below you can see further information

http://www.lyngsat.com/pas9.shtml

Both transponders are C Band so your dish size would need to be at around 3.0 mtr (solid )depending on your exact location.
Both satellites may also be close to the horizon at your location and could be difficult to recieve.

If you would confirm your location I can try to help further, and confirm some idea of the costs for such an installation.

Old Satellite

Stardust

Reaction score
My Location
pj::
NHK on pas 9 is not on the Europa beam, You can not receive this channel here.
The UK is just at the edge of the footprint of the pas 10, I think you need a 4m or 5m dish.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 25-Jun-02 AT 12:12 PM (GMT)]The PAS 9 Satellite has an offset foot print that covers the lower parts of Europe as well as latin america and the northern USA.

If you wish you may click on the previously supplied link then select the C band Americas footprint map, then you will see that the foot print is around 33-36db in Europe.

Many of the satellites from NSS (806)and intelsat I805 have the same facility.

The NSS 806 and I805 have a higher recievable transponder signal in to Europe and many of the transponders can be recieved on a 1.8 mtr C band satellite dish

Th 4040 Horizontal NHK transponder on PAS 9 has a field error correction rate(FEC of 3/4) this is also additionally helps in the reception of that set of channels, compared with many other transponders on the same satellite which have FEC of 7/8

I currently have a 3.7 mtr at my Belgium Location and I can receive all of the C band Transponders irrespective of local weather on PAS9, Additionally at my UK home I have a 2.0 mtr and a majority (including the NHK package) in good weather conditions are also recievable.

The PAS 10 3730 Horizontal Transponder also has a fec of 3/4 this can is recieved at my belgium location with a 75-80% signal strength
Weather extremes do not effect reception

My UK location PAS 10 3730H on a 2.0 mtr C band dish results in around 40-45% Weather extremes do effect reception.

Dependent on your exact location in Europe A high quality 3.0 mtr solid satellite dish with c band should be ok, however has I requested for confimation of location to advise and help further also.

Old Satellite

Stardust

Reaction score
My Location
pj::
>The PAS 9 Satellite has an offset foot print that covers the lower parts of Europe as well as latin america and the northern USA.

You are right, I thougt Amerika and Europa beam were split up on different channels.

I am suprised you can receive the pas 10 with only a 2m dish.
The EIRP is only 34 dB.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 25-Jun-02 AT 01:35 PM (GMT)]
This is slightly of thread but of referance material I hope to those that read.?

If you follow the footprints exactly as they state then you would not always identify correctly what can actually be recieved at what location, You have to look at a much wider aspect of satellite receiving variables and conduct a C/N at the actual proposed recieving location

The transponder footprint maps are a referance guide but many instances exist where there are transponders signals where thier actual outputs are both higher and lower than that stated, and also coverage areas that are also signifcantly differnent from that stated.

Check out the Intelsat I805 for example if you just review the footprint then you may consider that you would not receive the signals on any then less than 6 mtr as they are detailed on the global beam has 26 DB yet may of the transponders (including Global footprints) you can recieve on a 1.8 ntr as I confirmed earlier.

The 78.5 East Thaicom satellites have a asia (CR)specific beam on C band, and yet all of the Analogue and many digital signals I can receive at my Belgium location. 3751 H BBTV 7 and NNU5 etc are almost sparkly free.

Have fun

Old Satellite