Newbie Hi and Help please

donibbs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No set up yet, just getting started
My Location
Estonia (Tartu)
Hi there. As a very new member (about 1 hour old) I am probably in the wrong forum.

As an expat living in Tartu, Estonia, I am trying to find dish sizes and satellite availablility in order to set up a system

Satellite is readily available, but programmes are heavily biassed to Russian with little English. Although original material is mainly English it seems that the original language is not transmitted.

Any help or suggestions (except live elsewhere or forget it) will be more than welcome.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You probably want to be looking at the Scandinavian channels, you can get subscriptions on the web and they mostly carry English sound, but they are not cheap, have a look at http://www.lyngsat.com/1west.html

Otherwise there are a few packages on Hotbird and Astra, a couple of which are "available" at the moment and receivable with an average sized dish. :)

donibbs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Estonia (Tartu)
spiney said:
Unfortunately, that's probably out of range of the usual English lang sat broadcasts. For dish size details, see: http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/information/footprints/ .

Otherwise, tv streaming via Internet?
Hope this is the correct way to thank you. Thanks to both replies

There are 5 satellites with good coverage according to the link above. Will give it a whirl. Any suggestions as to the best set up? The dish will be 120cm and it looks as if motorising it may be useful as some of the available satellites are pretty widely spaced. I can get equipment from UK if items suggested are not available here. My view SE to SW is totally unimpeded.

As for the TV streaming solution, thats what I am trying at present, but I seem to get very little with a 2mb connection which mostly operates at about 1400kb and often down to 900. Have complained. Not successfully, and am told by others that the 4mb (the fastest here) often only runs at1400 to 2000kb, and never near 4mb.
Maybe I am not set up to the best configuration or not logging on to the best sites.

donibbs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Estonia (Tartu)
rolfw said:
You probably want to be looking at the Scandinavian channels, you can get subscriptions on the web and they mostly carry English sound, but they are not cheap, have a look at http://www.lyngsat.com/1west.html

Otherwise there are a few packages on Hotbird and Astra, a couple of which are "available" at the moment and receivable with an average sized dish. :)

Thank you Rolfw. Maybe I am thick but what means "available" in this context.

I have quickly looked at the site quoted but cannot see much in English, though most programme list 4 languages (excluding English).

The local Viasat used to carry English but these seem to be be changing to Russian, sometimes during a programme. It has happened many times especially with cable programmes which I have watched at friends homes.

Astra seems the best choice. Will check Hotbird more thoroughly. I always associate it with Adult

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You will have to make your own interpretation on available (have a look around the forum) ;), many of the channels on Thor 1W have an English sound track, as do the Digital+ channels on Astra 19.2E and the TPS channels and ART Arabsque on Hotbird 13E. ;)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Rolfw is the expert on what's more easily available "towards Russia" (sorry!), with English soundtracks, I'm certainly not!

If trying to get "English" sats with a huge dish, I'm not sure how successful that might be, but you want the biggest dish reasonably possible, remembering that a bigger dish has a narrower beam - hence is more affected by any movement - and you'd also want to get multiple satellites?

And the lowest noise possible lnb, with an adjustable feedhorn, and a sat reveiver with a good tuner. All these things make a cumulative difference, and thus increase your chances. That is, if it can be done at all!

Unfortunately, TV over internet is always a problem, due to ip protocols you can't expect brilliant results, that's why cable tv delivery systems usually use a dedicated fdm or adsl link.

That's only general advice, and here I "bow out", other people know much better about specific bits and pieces.

donibbs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Estonia (Tartu)
rolfw said:
You will have to make your own interpretation on available (have a look around the forum) ;), many of the channels on Thor 1W have an English sound track, as do the Digital+ channels on Astra 19.2E and the TPS channels and ART Arabsque on Hotbird 13E. ;)

Basically, I think that the best way forward is to put together the best system I can sort out, with probably some extra advice from the forum, and then find what is receivable.:confused

Thank you for the leads that you and Spiney have given.

When I have some data I will feed it back.:)

donibbs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Estonia (Tartu)
spiney said:
Rolfw is the expert on what's more easily available "towards Russia" (sorry!), with English soundtracks, I'm certainly not!

If trying to get "English" sats with a huge dish, I'm not sure how successful that might be, but you want the biggest dish reasonably possible, remembering that a bigger dish has a narrower beam - hence is more affected by any movement - and you'd also want to get multiple satellites?

And the lowest noise possible lnb, with an adjustable feedhorn, and a sat reveiver with a good tuner. All these things make a cumulative difference, and thus increase your chances. That is, if it can be done at all!

Unfortunately, TV over internet is always a problem, due to ip protocols you can't expect brilliant results, that's why cable tv delivery systems usually use a dedicated fdm or adsl link.

That's only general advice, and here I "bow out", other people know much better about specific bits and pieces.

Thanks to you and Rolfe.:)
Based on the replies I will set up a system and hopefully get sufficient results to feed back.

As to internet reception, I have been surprised at the high quality of some services, but they are rare and not of much general interest.

Now for the headaches while I sort out a system:-bash