Newbie needs help !!!

Paul33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Portable Satellite (Suitcase job from Maplin)
My Location
Peterborough, UK
Actually, it's not for me but for my father who has just purchased a "Satellite in a Suitcase" from Maplin, UK for his caravan !

Basically, he wants to get Astra 28.2E so that he can watch UK channels when in Europe. He has all the detecting kit and is positive he is tuned in to Astra 28.2E. He has tested it out with his "in-house" sky box and can get Sky channels very clear.

Problem is that when he hooks up the receiver that came with the dish (SRB SL65/12 ?), he can only get channels 0200-0205 which appear to be some form of test broadcasts. All the other channels listed for the satellite come up as "no signal" when he tries to tune in.

Anybody have any obvious ideas about what he is doing wrong ?

If it helps, when he finds Astra 19E then he gets all channels clearly ....... but they are nearly all German so of no use.

Any help appreciated.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Probably a case of transponder information missing, I presume that he is looking for BBC and ITV channels primarily. Tell him to check whether he has these transponder frequencies listed for 28.2E, if he hasn't, then he needs to add them and rescan.

He could connect the SL65 to his Sky dish and set it up for all of the receivable channels there.

Paul33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Peterborough, UK
Sounds promising but, before he asks me, how does he add those details ...... or will it be obvious ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There will be an option in the menus to add or edit transponders.

Paul33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Peterborough, UK
Sounds good ...... I'll go and try.

Thanks for your help !

benidormgary

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sigh-only Sky for now-Im back in the UK.......
My Location
Blackpool(Ex-Benidorm and Paignton)
Paul33 said:
Basically, he wants to get Astra 28.2E so that he can watch UK channels when in Europe.
Any help appreciated.

Dont forget,though,that even if you manage to get all of the transponders in whilst you are in the UK, the"caravan"dish is not big enough to receive most of them the further south you go into Europe,especially BBC and ITV programmes.For instance,round these parts your dad will need a 2.4 mtrs dish for all programmes!.:)

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
Gary has made a good point. The channel I always get people to use to see if they're on the right satellite is TWCFight!

Sky News (often cited) can be received from other satellites. TWCFight is on the strong south beam and is FTA. If you're getting that, you're aligned on the right satellite.