newbie newbie

saxfoon

Reaction score
Hi Rolfw,

I am a brand new newbie who knows absolutely nothing about satellites. I will explain what I have, what I want to do and how I hope to go about accomplishing it. I am an American living in the Netherlands. I have a Strong SRT 4355E receiver and a 68 cm dish. Currently I am rceiving the Astra 2 programs @19.2 E. I want to be able to receive the encrypted channels such as the History Channel & VH1 as well as some of the movies. I have not a clue on how to go about this. I am looking at purchasing a Magic Module version 1.04 w/2mb along with the Magic Module Programmer. It seems that the channels that I want to receive are encryted either by MediaGuard or Videoguard. I want to learn how to receive these channels, what I should buy and basicly, how to program a smartcard and what type of Smartcard do I need. Is a Funcard good enough?
I know!!! A lot of questions and probably to you guys that have the experience, they seem rather dumb. But I really want to learn and that was the main reason for joining this Forum. I do appreciate any help that you might give me.
Thanks
saxfoon

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Saxfoon, if you are looking to recieve videoguard channels, you will need a dedicated receiver and legitimate viewing card.

For Mediaguard, you need to know whether it is the old version or the newer unhacked version.

The Matrix reloaded CAM is probably a better bet than the Magic Module, you either need a couple of late model funcards and programmer, a CAS interface or a Laptop to update the CAM periodically.

PS. Astra 2 is at 28.2E, Astra 1 is at 19.2, but there are a lot of other satellites up there worthy of consideration.