newbie of newbies

sraheens

Reaction score
i live in the west of ireland and cant get a realibly system t.v aerail etc just beaks my heart when there a match on the picture is shocking ,

then i went to buy a free to air system in lidl which was gone as soon as i got there no shock there were gone but know i havent got a clue in how or where to turn
i havnet got a clue whats the best lnb how big the dish i need what reciever i want whats FTA digital receiver or anything. really i just want loads of channels from ireland to the end of europe as well as bbc itv c4 and a few sport channels.
but i havent got a clue

i seen a system Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra 1m Motorised system for £200 on
also the TELESTAR EUTELSAT DIGITAL 80 QUAD PLUS SYSTEM on for £120 lastly Digital system for EUTELSAT, with TELESTAR DIGINOVA 2 set-top box and 80cm dish pack. at £125
or where i can get the best deal.

also i cant get me head around
Astra1, Astra2, Hotbird, Eurobird, Hellasat, Thor, Sirius, Nilesat, Amos, the Atlantic Birds, Hispasat what in gods name are all these i suspect there some channels but my suspicions i will bet are wronge.

and would a motorised system be good to get like as my understanding the dish moves for other channels and searches to get them that would be good. then i see these matrix cards to be honest i am a very confused man so if anyone can help me cause if ur reading i do need a little help
icon10.gif
a lot maybe thank you

i am sorry about the length of this post, please answer i would be grateful

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
May be worth waiting for the Free offering of 200+ channels from Sky due later this year. This will get you excellent pictures on BBC, ITV etc.

Otherwise you can see how compliacted it all is - Hotbird, Astra, etc are satellites in different positions above the Equator (as they all are).

You would have to motorise the dish to get them all.

If you choose the later then all the information is here just spend some time as this is the best way to learn.

Hope this helps.

Story here...

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=26794&highlight=freeview+sky

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hi sraheens
First step with a motorised system is to make sure the dish will have a clear view of the satellites you want to receive. If you have a clear view of the southern sky i.e. with no buildings, trees in the way, you should be OK.
To receive the most popular satellites e.g. Hotbird, Astras etc. a motorised system is the way to go.
The Fortec +motor etc. you mention sounds a good deal, but check other suppliers first. I have this receiver and it's very versatile. It can receive FTA (Free to air) channels as well as encrypted ones (with a suitable smartcard).
Forget ITV and channel4 if you decide to go this way. You need a Sky digibox for these.

Llew

sraheens

Reaction score
thanks for your replys lads,i have got my head around some of the stuff but other than sky what system can you get itv and c4 with with the rest of the channels any liew a few hill are in my way but i could recieve sky if i wanted to if that helps
and finally where is the best place to buy online because if i went buying in ireland i would get rightly f*** well u know the rest online where is the best to go for my problem
thanks again

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
TOSIBIA HDD/dvd freeview recoder combi .
FTA 28e & 13e satellete system
My Location
Blackpool, Lancashire, England
sraheens said:
thanks for your replys lads,i have got my head around some of the stuff but other than sky what system can you get itv and c4 with with the rest of the channels any liew a few hill are in my way but i could recieve sky if i wanted to if that helps
and finally where is the best place to buy online because if i went buying in ireland i would get rightly f*** well u know the rest online where is the best to go for my problem
thanks again
Hi, there Sraheens,

Unfortunately if you want to receive ITV, Channel 4 and Five you need to take out a Sky subscription Family Package to receive those channels.:mad:

sraheens

Reaction score
thanks for the reply but i am still in a pickle where is the best place to buy online for my problem

sraheens

Reaction score
is my problem that bad that no one what to help an irish man i dont think it is all i am asking for my problem where is the best place to buy online and what system should i get!!!! thanks ever so much if u can help me

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location

sraheens

Reaction score
DREAMBOX DM-7000S RECEIVER how much would that cost and what kind of system like dish etc on it to get it peak performance

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
It's a fantastic piece of kit (I have one) but it's only for the 'advanced' user (LOL, not that I really categorise myself as that yet).

The reason that you won't get many answers to questions like 'where is the best place to buy...' is that we don't really like to make retailer/e-tailer recommendations. We try to remain 'neutral' and 'unbiased'!

Mind you, if we find a stonking bargain, and have first hand experience, then we sometimes let something slip!

With a HDD fitted, the Dreambox goes for about £300 in Germany (delivered to the UK) and maybe £380 in the UK. Prices change regularly though.

STICK

sraheens

Reaction score
TOROIDIAL 90 WAVEFRONTIER MULTI-BEAM DISH

CHESS SKY SCANNER ROTORSAT DISEQC UP 120CM DISH

DREAMBOX DM5600 DIGITAL RECEIVER

would that be a good system for some tv would any1 know what channels would i get with this system

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Either of those dish setups would get you quite a lot, the DM5600 is I believe the older model.

Can't give you a definitive channel list, as it changes constantly and is never reliable.

sraheens

Reaction score
if you were me what should i get out of this list to have a good system or what would i be missing

Dishs
TOROIDIAL 90 WAVEFRONTIER MULTI-BEAM DISH
MULTI-BEAM DISH 90/109CM + 5 Holders (Max
125CM GIBERTINI ALUMINIUM DARK GREY DIS

UNIV. QUATTRO LNB 40MM + SWITCH 0.3DB

UNIV. TWIN LNB MONOBLOCK 2*FEED+DISEQ

ROTORSAT DISEQC MOTOR CONTR. +REMOTE

Recievers

DREAMBOX DM5600 DIGITAL RECEIVER

DREAMBOX DM-7000S RECEIVER

Xtreme 520U Digital Receiver 2xCI + UCAS

XSAT CDTV 410 Media Guard SECA RECEIVER

XSAT DTVA Media Guard SECA Receiver

ID-24E CI DIGITAL RECEIVER (Human S/W com

sraheens

Reaction score
does anyone out there reckon what should or shouldnt buy out of the list below or even add to it ????

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
From where you are in the West of Ireland, I would go for a 120cm dish, but not with a DiseqC motor, you need a 36v model and either a receiver with a positioner or a V-Box to interface with a DiseqC receiver.

The receivers you mention above are all good, I would not recommend the Dreambox for a beginner though, it is not an easy box to setup.

sraheens

Reaction score
ok i think i got eventually that, but this little bit "36v model and either a receiver with a positioner or a V-Box to interface with a DiseqC receiver".

i think u would what a 36v diseqc model and after that i am lost??????????

i know that system might be hard but while i am buying it might as well get the right one!!!!!
so say if i was going to get

what would u add or change to that

thank you for your time

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
You need to do a lot more reading, and not from the sales brochures.

If your dish is 1.2M or over then you would do well to forget a diseqc rotor and swap it for a '36V rotor'. This is the only real alternative to a diseqc rotor.

Most receivers only do diseqc, so either find one that will operate a 36V rotor, or use a diseqc receiver and also get a 'diseqc to 36V converter'. This converter is called a VBOX.

You do not need a monoblock LNB if you have a motor. Monoblocks let you receive TWO satellites at the same time on a fixed dish, but as yours will be motorised, you only need a simple LNB.

Lastly, you should NOT be considering a Dreambox. They are FAR TOO COMPLICATED and difficut to set up, so go for either a patched receiver, or something with a CI slot and CAM/card. Go for a good make with plenty of 'aftermarket' support on the forums. See what other folks here are using, and go for the same.

Read as much as you can, and then go to a REPUTABLE dealer for further advice on a complete system.

Don't go shopping on the internet unless you really know what you are buying.

STICK

sraheens

Reaction score
this is what i intend to buy with someones blessing , i have done some reading took me a long time. i wonder the rotorsat i have chosen is this a good choice ????sorry make while reading other threads i got different responces. anyways hey goes

1. SG2100 DISEQC ROTORSAT UP 1.2M DISH
2. MOTECK V-BOX II
3. ACTUATOR STEERING CABLE 2x2x0.6mm
4. 125CM GIBERTINI ALUMINIUM DARK GREY DISH
5. ALPS UNIVERSAL LNB 0,6DB
6. PHILIPS DSR-2210 Digital SECA Receiver
7. COAX CABLE KH-23 100M 7MM HIGH QUALITY

ok say if i needed anything else bar the little fittings what else would i need????? i think i have got every thing
icon11.gif

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds OK, don't know the receiver, the SG2100 motor does not need the V-Box as it is DiseqC 1.2 already,

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sraheens said:
this is what i intend to buy with someones blessing , i have done some reading took me a long time. i wonder the rotorsat i have chosen is this a good choice ????sorry make while reading other threads i got different responces. anyways hey goes

1. SG2100 DISEQC ROTORSAT UP 1.2M DISH
2. MOTECK V-BOX II
3. ACTUATOR STEERING CABLE 2x2x0.6mm
4. 125CM GIBERTINI ALUMINIUM DARK GREY DISH
5. ALPS UNIVERSAL LNB 0,6DB
6. PHILIPS DSR-2210 Digital S*ca Receiver
7. COAX CABLE KH-23 100M 7MM HIGH QUALITY

ok say if i needed anything else bar the little fittings what else would i need????? i think i have got every thing
icon11.gif
Not sure about your receiver choice - from what I can gather, it's suitable only for use on the Dutch Canal+ system, i.e a restricted symbol rate and no Diseqc 1.2 switching.
I don't know what you intend to use it for, but I think it would be far better to get a receiver with a better specification to suit your intended set-up.
Look for one with USALS (Diseqc 1.2) and perhaps UCAS support or CI Cam slots.
I can't recommend specific receivers, but the Technomate or Fortecstar range are two worth looking at.

Llew