Newbie - problem with optical actuator

kevinj

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Loughborough
Ive just installed a 1.2m Channel Master Dish with 1224EL motor and Supertrack 6 inch actuator for vertical adjustment. My receiver is a Manhattan 6800, I also have a Supertrack EZ6000 positioner for the verical actuator.

The Manhattan 6800 controls H-H movement very well, 1224EL fitted with resd switch sensor.

My problem is that after a lot of investigation I have discovered that the vertical actuator is fitted with a optical sensor.

I now believe that this requires a 5 wire control from a positioner ie positioner with +5volts, Ground and Sensor (plus 2 motor wires). My positioner only has 4 wire output.

Manual vertical motion is OK except for quite big motion steps.

Any help on a posible solution would be appreciated.

By the way......Great Forum.....a lot of interesting info.

Kevin

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Depending on the tyope of optical sensor within the actuator, it requires either 5 or 12 volts to function

If the EZ positioner only has four outputs then you will have to find a permanent voltage out from the Manhatan and taop into that

Check for 5 wvolts first. If its a quality built receiver then it will have a positioner/polariser drive system that can be set up in the memory to provide a constant voltage

Worst case will require a 9v battery and switch

malling

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Midlands UK
I have the 6800 you should be able to run the whole lot from your receiver. It has all the outputs you mention on the back of it these can be set up in the positioner\antenna part of the on screen menu. Do you have the user manual as all the information about positioner, lnb and the 12V output are on pages 9 to 13.

Malling.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
One other simple option is to ask your supplier for the super jack for reed type sensor the cost is less 1 pound if you check normally. if not you can buy one form maplins that would work anyway

This way you dont need to run the extra cable etc the reed sensor will also be more than accruate anouth for elevation control.

Normally the optical circuity requires a 5 volt source and will be damaged if you connect to a 12 volt source. be careful

Regards

Old Satellite

kevinj

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Loughborough
Thanks for the very prompt replys.

You're correct, I have found a perminant 5 volt output for a polarizor on my Manhatten. Ive connected it up with no success.

I think it might be an issue with the ground.

Ive tried 1 additional wire from +5v on Manhatten to actuator also tried the +5v and changing the actuator ground wire from the EZ positioner (marked sensor -) to the Manhatten ground. Still no joy.

Do you think it would be OK to connect the Manhatten ground to the EZ positioner sensor -. Or would I be better trying a 6v battery first.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Try to connect both ground wires between the actuators first, best way is find the return earth of the Manhattan from the reed switch and use the plug in connectors of both receivers with a small bit of wire.

You are right that the actuator is not going to find a common earth connection via the dish as the reeds switch is usually isolated at the outside end

kevinj

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Loughborough
Thanks for that CH.

After reading Old Sats post - I nipped back to my local Satellite shop and got them to swap the original optical actuator that came with the 1224EL for a standard reed actuator.

In my enthusiasm Ive been working on the dish by moon light, the new one is a little longer but seems to fit OK.

Best of all the vertical control is now excellent....news feeds galore on 21.5 E.

Thanks for your help.