Newbie Q: What's the best set up?

ShadeySunday

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I am enquiring to get a motorised set up.
My Location
Essex
Hi,

I am a newbie to satellite. My wife is Russian and I live in the UK. I want to get a set up which will enable her to watch Russian channels and me to watch English. From the reading I have been doing it appears a motorised set up is best. Some questions which I would appreciate guidance on from you knowledgable peeps:

1. I believe NTV is the best option for Russian channels. Where best to get a subscription for a smart card on the net in the UK? And how much?
2. Would it be possible/adviseable to get an NTV smart card in Russia?
3. What is the best HD ready receiver to go for?
4. If I buy the kit for a motorised setup myself, can any installer set it up, enabling me to then point to the satellite of my choice?

Apologies for the list - but would be grateful if you would share your knowledge to help with above.

Best regards,

Shadey

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90 cm dish + two LNB 13/19 E
90 cm dish + one LNB 30 W
Humax 5400 .. Oh and cable for Mrs Marts (smilie here)
My Location
Gozo - Malta
Nice first post Shadey (Thumbs up smilie here, cos there isn't one in this collection) As Lancelot says, check out the link and post back with your ?s

Regards - Marts (oops found the appropriate smilie ) LOL :-righton

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Hi SS, Like you I live in Essex, and like you I have a Russian wife who enjoys her Russian TV.
If I were you get the same set up as myself, it's easy to set up and use, it's also cheap, and will get you all the Russian channels beamed to the UK.

Get yourself a Technomate 1500ci super receiver, with at least a 80cm dish, and a motor. Might be worth checking *-bay as they were selling the complete package for about £200 not so long ago.

You should not need a subcription card (at least not yet) as the Technomate will open all the channels you need.
Best satellites are Hotbird 13 east, Sirius 5 east, and Express AM 53 east, and they will provide you with about 15 Russian TV channels including NTV, ORT (First Channel), and RTV, as well as some Ukrainian channels.

More than enough for any women, even a Russian ! :-rofl2

Where about's in Essex do you live ?

J

Jeff_19341

Just one proviso at the moment, your dish must have a line of sight to the satellites mentioned in the previous posts.:-hny

ShadeySunday

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I am enquiring to get a motorised set up.
My Location
Essex
Hi Rob,

Thanks a bunch for the info - should save me a load of time and hassle.

We live in Waltham Abbey (J26 M25).

Cheers,

SS

J

Jeff_19341

One of the advertisers on this board is offering a nice little set up, see:-http://www.dvb-shop24.net/product_info.php/products_id/88/cPath/17_19/with-receiver/satellite-dish-#astra-/-hb-+-wall-mount-+-receiver.html
and for an extra £38 you can get a Moteck SG2100 motor from him. You never know he might just give you a special price for the whole lot if you also mention that you are a member here:-Cbigsmil
:-hny