newbie question - analogue receiver

paulocon

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a sky digital subscriber. I am wondering what I can pick up with my old dish and analogue receiver. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good info for starters?

Regards,
Paul.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Well it depends on a lot of different factors, such as:
- technical specifications of your receiver
- size and type of your dish
- type and noise-rating of LNB
- your geographical location

for example, you will only be able to recieve Channel5 (Astra1) if your receiver has a Videocrypt decoder built-in; you will only be able to receive certain Scandanavian channels on Sirius if your receiver incorporates a D2MAC decoder and your dish is, say, 1m or more in diameter. Several middle-eastern stations on Intel602 are unencrypted but can be received from the UK only if your dish is at least 2m and you have a clear line of sight almost to the horizon. Many German premium & public channels still broadcast in clear analogue from Astra1 and can be received from the UK with a dish as small as 70cm (say). C-band analogue channels such as MTV-Idia on Pas4 can only be received using a large prime-focus dish and special C-band LNB.
And so on.

Check out Lyngsat ( http://www.lyngsat.com ) for a full listing of channels/sats/format/encryption.

2old