Newbie Question

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
Hi everyone,

I've been playing around with old Sky Analogue gear for a couple of years now, but last week I bought the Lidl Kit (Comaq SL55 receiver + 80cm dish) and was very impressed. So impressed that I splashed out on a DiSEqu motor from Maplin to accompany it.

Then I learned how difficult it is to perform the initial alignment for the motor. I was standing on the chimney of my house at 1am last night adjusting it. Heaven knows what the neighbours must have thought.

Anyway, I've now got it to a position where I can find Astra 1, Astra 2, Astra 3A, Eurobird, Hotbird, Eutel Sesat, EutelSat W3, Sirius, Thor, Amos, Nilesat, Telstar 12 and Hispasat. There's also a couple which the receiver identifies as C_Asiasat 2 and 3S, but from looking at a few websites, I'm fairly sure those birds are not visible from the UK - so I don't know what they are. I can't seem to find any others.

Am I right in thinking that having got 13 satellite positions from 36E to 30W, the motor must be pretty much aligned spot on now, or should I try to tweak it some more? I get quite a lot of channels where the quality is about 70%, but the screen is blank, or sometimes pictures but no sound. Is this normal?

Phil.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Sounds like you are pretty much there.
However you might want to check Turksat @ 42e just to make sure
if you have enough movement in your system. :)

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
When I got home last night I discovered that I'd lost all the satellites. :eek:

I thought maybe I'd left something loose and the dish had shifted in the wind. So I got the ladder and the signal meter out again. The dish didn't feel loose to me. Then I had another go at aligning it and got Hotbird, Astra 1, and a couple of others - not aligned as good as before. But this morning I've lost them again.

I've decided to take it down and fix up a more solid mounting pole. I'm going to align it and make sure everything is really tight. Then if I lose the satellites again I'm going to start suspecting an equipment fault.

Phil.

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Uxbridge UK
I'm having a problem with my motor and it's really driving me nuts.

I get it lined up nicely and store all the satellites I can find. I usually get 70%+ signal quality. But it seems to go out of alignment. After a few hours, or sometimes even minutes, I'll select a satellite and get nothing but a blank screen. Then I have to jog it a couple of steps one way or the other to get the signal back. Then I store the new position and it's alright for a while, but after a few hours it's gone again.

I called the Metronic helpline and got through to a guy in France who told me it was probably the wind, and that I should tighten the bolts a bit more. But the bolts are tight and we haven't had much wind lately. There doesn't seem to be any play in the motor or the dish.

Is this a fault with the motor? Do all cheap motors to do this? Should I try and live with it, ask them to replace it, or see if I can get a refund and buy a better one?

Phil.