Newbie questions - set up questions

T

thuynh7

Hi

I have a Sky set up at the moment and my aim is to get Hotbird, whilst still being able to get Sky, (I'm in the London)

I have several problems, one being budget, being a novice and the other being that my house is east facing.

I have Several questions that if anyone could help would be great, rather than create loads and loads of posts, I thought get it all in one. here goes:-

a) Because my house is East facing and I only have a 8 feet ladder I can only install a Satellite using a wall bracket/mount, therefore only East-of south satellites are available (i.e. hotbird). My question is there tons more on offer to me on the west side, therefore I would get in a Pro with a high ladder and he could put in a TK bracket and launch me Dish higher to roof level. Or is it the case that East of South is clearly and shoulders above the West and nothing worth getting on the West?

:cool: As I already have Sky on a Wall mount, (which I'd like to keep). to get Hotbird how would I go about it?

(i) Can I replace the Sky Dish with a bigger one, stick a motor on that, and get a Digital receiver? Would I still be able to get sky on this setup.

(ii) If the above is not possible because a sky set up is the only way to get Sky;- Then can I in some way share the existing cabling, like have two satellites going into the same cable and at the other end split it?

(c) How much would a Sat installer cost to put up a Dish using TK brackets?

thanks for all your help

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
:-Welcome1 thuynh7,

Most of the best sats are to the east, Sirius, Hotbird, Astra sats, only Hispasat at 30 west is of much use so if I were you with a limited budget do it yourself and just focus on the eastwardly sats.

It is possible to receive Sky on another receiver but you will need the correct cam for it.

A satellite installer would probably charge you around £150 for a motorised system, and less of course for a fixed dish.

jack-le-frost

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 3600
1.2 channel master
loads of cams and cards
and extra bits and bobs
My Location
northwest
Rob said:
:-Welcome1 thuynh7,

Most of the best sats are to the east, Sirius, Hotbird, Astra sats, only Hispasat at 30 west is of much use so if I were you with a limited budget do it yourself and just focus on the eastwardly sats.

It is possible to receive Sky on another receiver but you will need the correct cam for it.

A satellite installer would probably charge you around £150 for a motorised system, and less of course for a fixed dish.

A satellite installer would probably charge you around £150 to fit
Plus the cost of supplying the bits you may require

Brackets ,Rawl bolts ,Pole, ubolts, dish, mount, motor coax, etc...
Its not cheap m8 but its worth it in the end.
Have a go yourself and learn by reading on the net how to do it
I have installed many a dish setup but, I am not an installer just a have a go merchant, I choose to only install for friends who I have introduced to the hobby and ( im in Liverpool before you ask :D :D )

If you get stuck just ask

there will always be someone who knows better .
best of luck

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
You have a similar problem to me. I can only see East of South sats round to 19.2E on my motorised dish (which is plenty of good sats...). I then have a sky dish for all that Murdoch stuff.

Then I have another temporarily mounted 1.1m dish in the garden for 30W, but I can also re-align it for any other bird, or when my 88cm motorised is not big enough to pull something in (once in a blue moon). My motorised has a twin LNB for my Skystar and Dreambox.

If I were you, I might dump the $ky dish, replace it with a Gemini 90cm dish with 3 LNB's for 28.2E, 19.2E and 13E. Feed the digibox off the 28.2E LNB and let a new digital receiver switch (using a DiSEqC 1.0 4:1) between the 19.2E LNB, the 13E LNB, and a third LNB on another 70cm dish mounted wherever you can get it to see 30W.

Hispasat really is worth having at the moment. Obviously I don't fully understand your layout and positioning options, but if one dish CAN'T do both East and West, then get 2!

:D

STICK

T

thuynh7

I kind of understand what you are saying, but why would I need 3 LNB's if my dish is motorised?

BGonaSTICK said:
You have a similar problem to me. I can only see East of South sats round to 19.2E on my motorised dish (which is plenty of good sats...). I then have a sky dish for all that Murdoch stuff.

Then I have another temporarily mounted 1.1m dish in the garden for 30W, but I can also re-align it for any other bird, or when my 88cm motorised is not big enough to pull something in (once in a blue moon). My motorised has a twin LNB for my Skystar and Dreambox.

If I were you, I might dump the $ky dish, replace it with a Gemini 90cm dish with 3 LNB's for 28.2E, 19.2E and 13E. Feed the digibox off the 28.2E LNB and let a new digital receiver switch (using a DiSEqC 1.0 4:1) between the 19.2E LNB, the 13E LNB, and a third LNB on another 70cm dish mounted wherever you can get it to see 30W.

Hispasat really is worth having at the moment. Obviously I don't fully understand your layout and positioning options, but if one dish CAN'T do both East and West, then get 2!

:D

STICK