Newbie questions >>> want sky channels but cant afford monthly payment

Tob3z

Reaction score
My Location
Will give u if u need it
Hi there,
Ok let me just lay down some info about me first. Ok im 16 and have a income of about £120 -£180 a month. I have freeview but reception sucks and I have tryed boosters, new ariels ect ect. So I want Sky +. I have £1000 in my account now waiting to be spent. I already have sky downstairs but want it in my room and I want +. Im normaly quite good on finding info out myself but this has to be one of the most hardest things I have tryed to find help with. I modded my xbox and I mess with game save hex code so i know some shit. But Im guessing this is harder.
So I will need
1) sky + box and I will chuck in a 200GB hardrive for the fun of it.
2) Something to porgram cards.... (am i right?)
3) some blank cards, 4 to be safe.
4) A sattellite lead to connect to dish

Is this the best I can do for my money.... I just want sky one and film channels like film 4 ect and be able to record.
I hope someone can help me or point me in the right direction.
Thank you for your time in reading this.
Tob3z

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry Tob3z, forget trying to get UK Sky for free, aint going to happen and a Sky+ box needs to be activated by Sky to use the recording facility.

Have a read through some of the sections of the forum, the Dreambox section might be of some interest to you.

PS. The PC card forum offers a very low cost entry into the motorised market.

Tob3z

Reaction score
My Location
Will give u if u need it
bollax.... hum, so its impossible to get sky + hacked? Even if maybe a subscribe for a month.... What about sky?
motorised??? Lol thats how n00b i am. Do you meen old style satellites. Sky seems to be the only one with nice remote and box and interface. Others just looked like some cheep shit ontop of ur vcr.

(EDIT) what if i forget about the recording... does that help me choose a better system?

Tob3z

Reaction score
My Location
Will give u if u need it
whats with all the german sites. got nothing against em. Just that englsh is the world laguage.
Btw you are introducing me to new boxes... do they get e4, film 4 ect bbc channels and itv. thankyouplease

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
If you already have Sky downstairs why not just get another receiver from Sky (about 10 pound a month I think) and you can have Sky in your own room.
Of course you could also go downstairs and watch for nothing ! :rolleyes:

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Good point Rob, a mirror subscription is only £10/month and a Sky+ box installed is only £250 so may be the best way to go.

PS. @ Tob3z, In the satellite world, you accept information from where you can get it and if it happens to be in German, French, Chinese or Serbo Croat, that is the way it is, this is truly international hobby.

PPS. Sky+ is a toy compared to some of the technology available now, don't scoff at it until you do a bit more reading.

Tob3z

Reaction score
My Location
Will give u if u need it
ok. Well I have some bad news... well for me. We are not subscribed downstairs... we has it for a year... so its ares now. You have to be subscibed to sky to have a 2nd subscription. We only get the free channels. We cant afford a subscription. :(
I did look at buying a scubscription and stuff to do with sky. My familys poor and I cant help that.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
rolfw said:
Good point Rob, a mirror subscription is only £10/month and a Sky+ box installed is only £250 so may be the best way to go.

PS. @ Tob3z, In the satellite world, you accept information from where you can get it and if it happens to be in German, French, Chinese or Serbo Croat, that is the way it is, this is truly international hobby.

PPS. Sky+ is a toy compared to some of the technology available now, don't scoff at it until you do a bit more reading.
errr... everything I was about to say as I read through this thread!

STICK

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
@ Tob3z, have a look in the PC card forum, if you want a cheap way to get loads of channels, the answer is there. I'm assuming that you have a desktop PC in your room, if it is anything over 1Ghz, it is the basis of a nice satellite receiver.

Tob3z

Reaction score
My Location
Will give u if u need it
Can I use my sky dish or will I need a new dish moved in a different direction. Dont think parents would be to happy if I stuck another dish on the house.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You'd need another dish.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
ToB the money you have for your sky experiment would be better spent on a good inexpensive receiver,new dish around 88cm(minimum if you want to explore the globe for good telly) a motor the moteck is not so expensive.once you have this and installed properly then you'll be ready to watch telly like youve never watched telly before.AND does it really ****ing matter what language you watch football in?? there are of course plenty of english broadcasts,but sometimes if it has to be croat,german,spanish or scandinavian.what difference does it make?? the BEST part is its FREE!! so i leave you with these 2 words... F.CK SKY!!!

TWAG

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
plecostamus said:
and of course langage dosn't matter for 'adult' content lol

plecostamus

In fact having listened to some of the dialogue, it's a positive advantage to not understand it. :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Who does the orgasmic moaning on those films? What do you put down on your CV when applying for the job?

Llew

Tob3z

Reaction score
My Location
Will give u if u need it
bollaxs again. There is no way parents will let me chuck a dish on the house. Grrrr. Looks like good old shitty freeview box will stay. Well thank you anyway.