Newbie Sat Questions

Lord Minty

DIY motorised
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.3dB Fortec Star lnb, 90cm Fortec Star dish, Silver Crest SL65 receiver, Stab HH90 motor...
My Location
Bedford
Hello, I'm new to sat TV but I've caught the bug since I saw the recent FTA Lidl kits. Unfortunately I was on me hols when they were sold but SWMBO came home unannounced with one of their SL65 receivers a couple of months later!

I now need to get a dish/LNB/cable to get it working (it looks a bit sad in it's box!) and I'd just like to check I'm on the right lines.....

Long term aim is to have a motorised setup so I can see as many sats as possible, but until then I want to get the basic components right.

My current thinking is to get a 90cm dish+LNB and I'd probably go for either a Fortec Star, single LNB and fitting kit from Maplin and DIY (unless they sell their new 90cm kits at a knockdown price!).

Unmotorised I'll probably point it at Astra2, Hotbird 13 or Astra1, depending on which channels catch my eye when I set it up. I particularly keen on French language channels to help our daughter with her spoken French.

I spoke to an 'installer' (has ads in a local paper) and he was suggesting a 90cm dish could be too big for Astra2. Is he talking rubbish?

BTW I'm located just south of Bedford.

Thanks.....

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Maplin aren't cheap.

Get the biggest dish you can (about like torque- the more better).

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
LOL,

The guy in the paper it joshin you mate, The bigger the dish the more the signal is picked up.. Sky only supply little dishes because astra2 is a strong signal and bigger is not needed.

I wouldnt bother with astra 19.2 , i was on it last week and it wasnt worth it.. Its a very dark satellite at the moment nothing clears and the fta channels arent very good.

I would personaly lign up to Hotbird, Its ace. TPS is on their and that has films and sport, oh and music.. like MTV M6 Music (Hits and Black).

There is also Boomerang in english oh and there is BabyTv for the toddlers :D

A 90 cm dish will do just fine you will pick up everything you would ever need :D just slap a 0.3db lnb on the end and run the cable and your fine..

Oh may i just say.

Get the bracketry just right get it vertical etc etc.. Make sure theyre solid.. if you want mount on the ground.. Get the brackets spot on and your half way there to getting a motorised system.. it would simply be take the dish down add the motor and line up and your away :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Yeshi said:
LOL,
Get the bracketry just right get it vertical etc etc.. Make sure theyre solid.. if you want mount on the ground.. Get the brackets spot on and your half way there to getting a motorised system.. it would simply be take the dish down add the motor and line up and your away :)

Yeshi is being absolutely correct there... get the fundamentals correct for a fixed system i.e. pole vertical in all planes etc and when it comes to motorising it will be so much easier

Lord Minty

DIY motorised
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.3dB Fortec Star lnb, 90cm Fortec Star dish, Silver Crest SL65 receiver, Stab HH90 motor...
My Location
Bedford
Thanks all. I did think that installer was talking b*****ks as it went against everything else I've read and been told.

I'll try Hotbird as a starter and once I'm up and running I'll get motorised!
O-Ha