Newbie to all this

nathanvtr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec star fsci - 5100 ultra reciever. 2 cam slots.

90cm dish

titanium 0.2db lnb

disceq motor

loopthrough to Sky digital box.

Dragon Cam v4.1 pred 332

Now a CAS3 owner
My Location
Wolverhampton
ok, basically at the moment only able to pick up 19.2 e astra which is what i looked for straight away as i had a rough idea where it was but not finding any other satellites i assume this can only be down to incorrect elevation and declination of my dish.
I believe i've worked out the correct angle to be site lat 53 elev 37 dec 7.6 dish bracket angle 22.4 so will be moving dish first thing.

The main query is which satellite should i look for to allow me to then easily find others after i locate it initally to get a good range throughout the spectrum.

Also if i step out my back door and look my immediate left that is north direction just wondered where the 0 on my moteck 1.2 motor should be pointing as north is left at this point and east would be straight ahead which is where it is pointing if motor is reset to 0 deg and should my dish be mounted centrally in line with the 0.

Sorry for so many q's but satellite system has been down a while now and terrestial is doing my head in big time.

dereke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
mvision e+7000,diseq 1.2,90cm .dish

My Location
france
Try hotbird 13 east or thor 0.7 west,best of luck.

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
I agree with dereke. I always use Hotbird at 13e. Thats 13° east from south. The 0° on your motor is 0° south not north. Get your motor mounted on the brackets with the correct elevation etc. Then drive it to Hotbird 13e. Then manually move it until you get the strongest signal. These is a list of strongest transponders on this web site for you to look for. Then tighten it all up sit back and enjoy.
Good luck

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Your closest Due South satellite is Thor at 1W, there is a sticky thread at the top of this section which outlines the basics of setting up a motorised dish, it can be done by using 13 East, but it is not as precise and not the recommended way (unless of course you either live at that longitude, or you cannot phisically see your due South satellite).

Thor is easy to find if you set the correct transponder, again there is a list in the sticky threads, this will define the top of your arc correctly and really does make life very easy once found. The biggest and oft' repeated mistake which people make, is to start fiddling about with driving the motor, before they have completed the basic setup step.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
South is where the sun is at about noon in the summer. Or look at where your neighbours (?) $ky dishes are pointing and South is 28 degrees to the right of that (westwards).

Follow the sticky, but in brief, point the dish to zero and use a sat meter to adjust it onto the strongest signal. Try to scan Thor 1W and compare the channels to those listed at lynsat (to see if it's 1W or maybe another sat). If it's not, adjust the dish east or west as needed and try again.

HTH and good luck!

J

Jeff_19341

@mhku

Ref "South is where the sun is at about noon in the summer."
Not so! 1pmBST or 12noon GMT.
cheers.

nathanvtr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

90cm dish

titanium 0.2db lnb

disceq motor

Dragon Cam v4.1 pred 332

Now a CAS3 owner
My Location
Wolverhampton
havent attempted to sort this yet, but got my fingers crossed it all works.

nathanvtr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

90cm dish

titanium 0.2db lnb

disceq motor

Dragon Cam v4.1 pred 332

Now a CAS3 owner
My Location
Wolverhampton
ok just had a crack and everything is fine apart from having my satellite perfectly due south its about 20 deg off 0 deg reason for this is the wall bracket i have has supporting brackets which are in the way of where i need my motor to be so i need to get another wall bracket that is sturdy with no restricions or supporting brackets well away from where my motor will be mounted.

Any ideas of good priced suppliers?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thay may not always be the cheapest, but normally you local aerial/satellite wholesaler will supply suitable brackets. :)