Newbie with set up probs.

sat novice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500 Super,SG2100,Raven 90 cm,42east to 30west,36" of CRT,Freeview from Crystal Palace,6.1 surround,Custom PC,Wireless network.
My Location
Birth Place of Radio
Hi all,
Got round to setting up system today but have run into problems.
have set the pole up dead plum,I aimed the dish at the sun at 12noon (looked down the lnb arm),set the motor to 1degree west for thor and nothing ,not a damn thing could i pick up on the receiver.
The digisat meter on the other hand is screaming 80 percent signal at me.
I must be making a minor mistake somewhere,have been mucking about with it all since 9.30 this morning and I am going mad.

Technomate 5500ci super
MTI 0.6 Bluline lnb
SG2100 motor
Gemini 90cm
Can I set this lot up for operation in usals or just Diseqc?
Also what setting do I set the lnb type to in the techies menu?

Thanks in advance chaps.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What have you set the lattitude as on the motor elevation scale and what figure have you set on the dish (declination)?

sat novice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500 Super,SG2100,Raven 90 cm,42east to 30west,36" of CRT,Freeview from Crystal Palace,6.1 surround,Custom PC,Wireless network.
My Location
Birth Place of Radio
Hi ROLFW
The motor elevation has been set as close to 51.748 as I can get it.
The dish doesn't have any markings on the bracket so I thought that I could work around that problem by tilting the dish up and down until I got a good reading on the meter.

Any ideas as to what setting the lnb should be set at in the menu?
i.e universal,single,wideband e.t.c.
By the way, signal strength = 80 percent quality =10 percent
many thanks.

G

GotMyBusPass

Hi SAT NOVICE

The sun is due South, on zero degrees meridian, at 12noon GMT which is 1pm BST. Afraid you are 15degrees too far east.
Your dish should be set to about 32+degrees ie 40-7.47 for your latitude of 52degrees.
LNB set to universal
Your readings indicate that the receiver & LNB are woirking:D
GMBP:)
PS what is your longitude?

sat novice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birth Place of Radio
Hi GMBP

Longitude here is 0.485.

I think that I have gone and pressed the wrong button on the remote,I now don't have any satellites in the memory,today has gone from bad to worse.
Looks like I am going down to walthamstow to get the box retuned at technomate.was hoping to have this done in a day what a disaster!!!!!!!!!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You should be able to set up an individual transponder to search with, 11325 H is always a good one, see http://www.lyngsat.com/1west.html then you can scan the satellite once found.

G

GotMyBusPass

Hi SAT NOVICE

THe SUN moves across the sky at 1degree every 4 minutes in time, where I am at 1degree east the sun is due south at 4 minutes to 1200GMT ie 1256BST, for you it would be about 2minutes before the hour but is not worth bothering about.
Try to do a factory reset with your Technomate and then input the satellites, this will give you most of the transponders, then later you can input, manually, the rest of the transponders that you wish to view.
Now that I have got the Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra Receiver I can just set it to do a power search (blind search) of the satellite for FTA transmissions.
Off to buy a new electric kettle, mine gave up the ghost last evening, making a cup of tea in the microwave is not as good as pouring boiling water over a tea bag!

sat novice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birth Place of Radio
Hi GMBP,

I am in the process of downloading the channel set up list from the technomate web site,all I have to do now is wait for pc world to open so I can get a RS232 cable to upload to the stb.
wish me luck.
GMBP are you for hire,need professional help here(LOL)

SAT NOVICE.

G

GotMyBusPass

Hi Sat Novice

I hope that you got your lead and everthing works out AOK.
I think that you will find that Channel Hopper and RolfW are the "professionals" on this board.
I had 33 years in "sat comms research" from the original "Telstar" at Goonhilly to Betzdorf, ASTRA 1 analogue. I then took early retirement in 1991 and only came back to the "hobby" 12-15 months ago.
I just like finding out what is "up there pumping down to here" and finding out the capabilities of my set up. I am only interested in FTA sat and terrestrial so I do not have any cams/cards/programmers.
I'm only just up the road from you, Ipswich direction, and with a 85cm Gibertini dish and one of the 2100 motors could get 53east to 58west, but now the trees/bushes have grown folliage am down to 45east to 45west. Nilesat, today being very clear sky, I am picking up a treat and should be stronger as nightfall arrives.
Hoping that you have got some results today.
PS when you find 1west put a marker down your garden so that you can line up the dish to the satellite again in the future, that is if you "play about" with different dishes/motors "like wot I do":D

sat novice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birth Place of Radio
O.k guys here is the latest ,I GIVE UP !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have totally wasted two whole days trying to set this lot up.
Putting the brackets and pole up plum was easy for a competent diyer,but getting the motor and dish to point in the right direction...... well theres a different story, and now I have managed to lose all the pre-installed channels.

I have decided to leave it well alone and appoint a professional installer who no doubt will have it sorted in minutes.

If possible could any one recommend an installer/enthusiast near me whom I could contact in the hope of getting this done once and for all.

As ever chaps you have been most helpful and I greatly appreciate your input/comments.

Thankyou.
SAT NOVICE.:)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
@ Sat Novice

I've PM'd you.