ACEofCLUBS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
My Location
Norwich, UK
hi, interested in getting into satellite via pc, but know virtually nothing about systems etc

intended shopping list(on a budget of £150)

Gilbertini 85cm dish
Smart 0.2dB Titanium single LNB
Twinhan Vision DTV SAT-CI 1030A

currently available for £137.99 online.

what would I be able to receive? ( bearing in mind I live in Norfolk, UK)

Am I wasting my time and money?
any advice welcome

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Are you wasting time and money ?
Only you can answer that i'm afraid.
I'm not in flippant mode (at the mo) but there are lots of things to think about here.

Firstly - are you looking for a direct replacement for sky TV in the UK? if the answer is yes then you will be disappointed I'm afraid.

If you are looking for TV from around the world not always in English (but there is a vast amount available ) then you are on to a winner.

There are dozens of satellites visible from the UK and Europe and there is a good mix of programming available with the kit you are thinking about (incidently I use a PCI card myself). It very much depends on what you want to watch really.

News , films sport, documentaries, animation, comedy, it's all there. Many people hunt for the raw feeds from the sats especially when there is something big going on like the current shuttle mission for example, and never bother with 'mainstream' programming at all.

You have picked some good starter kit there, all I would say to you is think about adding a motor for around £50-60. This will give you a huge amount to choose from and keep you amused for a long time.

Oh and :-welcome to the forum :)

L.

ACEofCLUBS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
My Location
Norwich, UK
thanks for your reply. is the pc power supply capable of 'driving' a motor? or would it be driven by something else? (500W Dual fan Gold in pc at mo.).
not after sky replacement 'cos never had sky before, world tv sounds interesting though, even if not in English,
Oh well, in at the deep end, about to take the plunge..............................if my CC is flexible enough

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
DiSEqC motors are ok from your computer card as they draw relatively little current and only in short bursts anyway.

Hope your CC works out OK.

Welcome to sattelite TV :D

L.