Newbie's first post.

pbriffa

Reaction score
Hi all,

I realise that you guys have probably answered my questions a zillion times before, but if you can please help me out I would very thankful.

I am looking into a digital satellite system; I already have sky and would like to delve a bit more into murky world of digital satellites.

I am currently looking at a twin LNB setup with a DiSEqC Switches one looking at Astra and the other at hotbird, quite a standard setup by the looks of things.

Next the receiver… :confused this is where I fall apart and cant make decision. I want to receive the FTA channels but also leave myself open to be able to receive as many of the encrypted channels as possible.

So I looked at units with CI slots and my thinking here the more the better so a box with two slots, that narrows it down a bit. Next there where some boxes with built in encryption such as embedded IRDETO, VIACCESS etc.

First question.

Am I on the right tracks here guys? Digital receiver with two CI slots embedded encryption, if so what type of embedded will give me the most channels to decode.

Next CAMS there appear to be many multi type cams Dragon, Magic, Matrix reloaded and so on. Again what is the best unit to get that will give the most channels?

And so I come to the Dreambox, now this looks like a box that does an awful lot. It looks like it covers most of the above and it’s basically a PC. I don’t have any problems with PC’s and software its what I do for a living.

Would this be a better bet for me?

Sorry this is so long winded guys but I want to buy some kit that will last me a while and give the most possibilities. So any advice will be greatly appreciated.

cdpdesign45

12 mth. Down time DB7k!!!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
athlon XP 3200+, 1054mb Ram, 500gb SATA (300 & 200) DB7k, diseq 1.2 & 80cm dish
My Location
Bridlington, E. Yorkshire
Pbriffa,

I'm probably the last person to advise you on what to get, but for approx £700 i've got a diseqc 1.2 motorised dish and a Dreambox 7000 installed. The ability of the dreambox is endless if you're prepared to be patient and persevere with the setup etc.. As it runs on linux it's a little confusing at first, but it's well worth the sleepless nights!!!

If you get the DB7k get it from www,satellitesuperstore.co.uk as they will pre program it for you, for a few quid extra. (this gets you over the initial teething troubles) Also, their Tech support is about the best I've found so far. I got mine direct from Dream and the support has not been that forthcoming, whenever I phone the guy I need to speak to is never there; when he turns up you can't understand a word he says!
The guys on here have been my saviours, they have stopped me making a total a*se of it and shown me the light so to speak. Your first point of call would be T_G's Idiot proof guide.

Happy Viewing!

pbriffa

Reaction score
Thanks for that... From what I have read so far it appears that you don't need any CAMS with the Dreambox. am I right and if yes can it easily be switched between different encryption methods or even load multiple types at once

lee32uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super
Triax 1.1m dish
Diseqc motor
Invacom lnb
My Location
Manchester

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
pbriffa said:
Thanks for that... From what I have read so far it appears that you don't need any CAMS with the Dreambox. am I right and if yes can it easily be switched between different encryption methods or even load multiple types at once

Right on both accounts the decryption for the CAMS and cards are handled by the software - that's why the DreamBox is so flexible.

pbriffa

Reaction score
Looks like it will the DreamBox then. One more question how readly available are the images?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
pbriffa said:
Looks like it will the DreamBox then. One more question how readly available are the images?

Lots of sites have the images as they contain no keys so are not breaking any laws.

Sorry, most images that is - the RuCannon ones may contain keys I believe.

pbriffa

Reaction score
Thanks again guys, you have all been great helps. I will probably be back with more questions once I get the kit and have it installed.:) :)

pbriffa

Reaction score
Hi guys I am back again... Have ordered a Dreambox 7000 online and all I can do now is wait... In the meantime I have been doing some more reading and now have a much better understanding of how images and emu's work.

My question for you guys who have been using the Dreambox 7000 for sometime now is, what is the best image to use? e.g. has the most comprihensive functions and emu's loaded.

What I am really after is the ability to view as many FTA and encrypted channels as possible. I know that you have multiboot images and again what are the best?

Also finding images and information on emu's is proving quite hard trailing from link to link. Is there any site's that can be used as a central source of information?

I am greatfull of any help that you guys (or girls) can give me. I would like to have as much knowladge in advance as possible.

Thanks again

cdpdesign45

12 mth. Down time DB7k!!!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
athlon XP 3200+, 1054mb Ram, 500gb SATA (300 & 200) DB7k, diseq 1.2 & 80cm dish
My Location
Bridlington, E. Yorkshire
try google for "tony doe" good for codes. Go careful with the db though... get farmiliar with it first otherwise you'll end up where I am... In a mess!

I would seriously think about buying a null modem cable too... If you do manage to total your dreambox it's the best and quickest way to fix it rather than sending it off.
You can find them on ebuyer if you have a look at quick code number: 19478.

Good Luck!